Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else ever go days at a time without eating, not even letting themselves touch prepared food? Even cooking for your family, but then never touching it yourself? I'm a big girl about 5'7'', 175 lbs. I know this is unhealthy, but is that maybe a common thing for fat people who have eating problems?

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
It may seem illogical, but starving yourself shuts down your metabolism. So any little bit you do eat your body will demand those calories to be stored as fat since you aren't meeting your nutritional needs.

Do you eat breakfast at least?

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I would eat - try channeling the nerves into exercise. Exercise will build metabolism. If I had not exercised, my weight gain with Paxil would have been a lot worse.

·
blessed with lucky sevens
840 Posts
Starving is silly and counter-productive.

Like guy above me said, exercise + balanced diet = win. Paxil made me gain weight too, I'm so glad I'm off it now because meds are s**t. As s**t as starving yourself would be.

But that's just my opinion.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
I have done it twice in my life where I went about a week where I would only eat a few biscuits and bread during the day. The main reason was anxiety, when I am extremely anxious I simply cannot eat because I feel like it would come straight back. It's not a nice feeling.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I'm a big girl about 5'7'', 175 lbs. I know this is unhealthy, but is that maybe a common thing for fat people who have eating problems?
That doesn't sound too out of control. I'm 5' 11" and at least 190. I'm not skinny by any stretch of the imagination but it's not something I worry about and I wouldn't consider myself fat just because I'm not thin as a rail.

·
Gentle Impulsion
7,792 Posts
Not because I don't want to eat, because the thought of food makes me sick. I'm 6' and 150.

·
Finding my way
1,932 Posts
I wish I could go without eating. But the medication I'm on makes me hungry every four hours or so. Right now I'm 5'6" and over 200 pounds :(

·
Registered
230 Posts
I wish I could go without eating. But the medication I'm on makes me hungry every four hours or so. Right now I'm 5'6" and over 200 pounds :(
Your body is built for survival, it doesn't think about how unattractive fat is, it just knows it will keep you alive. When you stop eating, it doesn't know when the next meal is coming and becomes more and more efficient at storing fat.

Any weight you do lose will usually be gained right back as soon as you start eating again.

Not to sound preachy here but the whole starvation for weight loss misconception really bothers me. Effectively losing weight has a lot more to do with eating the right food than it does with simply not eating. Starvation is one of the worst ways to lose weight not because it's unhealthy but because you're fighting your body every step of the way because your body knows its a ****ty idea.

·
Hear, See , Be silent
1,421 Posts
Your body is built for survival, it doesn't think about how unattractive fat is, it just knows it will keep you alive. When you stop eating, it doesn't know when the next meal is coming and becomes more and more efficient at storing fat.

Any weight you do lose will usually be gained right back as soon as you start eating again.

Not to sound preachy here but the whole starvation for weight loss misconception really bothers me. Effectively losing weight has a lot more to do with eating the right food than it does with simply not eating. Starvation is one of the worst ways to lose weight not because it's unhealthy but because you're fighting your body every step of the way because your body knows its a ****ty idea.
Ya you tell them !!!!!!!!! I see people do this all the time and they end up looking skinny fat in the end.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I'm very underweight and I've tried gaining weight without much success my whole life. Yes there are many days I go without eating very much. Unless I schedule my meals, I don't eat. This is due to a combination of getting distracted and never really feeling hungry. If you are never hungry you may want to get a blood test to see if you have some type of thyroid related problem. I got one without medical insurance at my college clinic. It cost me only 20 dollars. I ended up having no problem, but it's nice to rule things out.

·
Hear, See , Be silent
1,421 Posts
Yes there are many days I go without eating very much. Unless I schedule my meals, I don't eat. This is due to a combination of getting distracted and never really feeling hungry. .
I have some days like this but I've learned to tell myself to stop and eat otherwise I can go all day if i'm busy which isn't healthy at all actually it can be anxiety causing from low blood sugars for me. If I'm not feeling to hungry I will have a shake or something that doesn't take long to consume, meal replacements come in handy.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
I have some days like this but I've learned to tell myself to stop and eat otherwise I can go all day if i'm busy which isn't healthy at all actually it can be anxiety causing from low blood sugars for me. If I'm not feeling to hungry I will have a shake or something that doesn't take long to consume, meal replacements come in handy.
My problem is I'm also a slow eater. So eating itself is a block of time I sometimes don't wanna spend. I use to drink meal replacement's with some success for gaining weight but I had to stop due to cost. I'm planning on getting some more soon since I just bought some home gym equipment, but I still think I'll be slow at drinking them. An 800 calorie shake use to take me about an hour to drink. Shake's are really the end of the rope for me, if I can't get disciplined about taking them I'll always be skinny.

·
Hear, See , Be silent
1,421 Posts
Shakes aren't cheap. Real food is better and you can find deals on food but shakes will always be 50-70 depending on amount I go through 10lbs of whey pretty quick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts