Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, well, today my mother came in and asked if I'd like to go to the airport to see my aunt off and I was a bit hesitant, but I said yes because I wanted to go and really test my CBT stuff, my cognitive strategies and what not. Well, on the way to LAX I felt a bit too pumped up, so the whole time I was in the car I was just being mindful and rational about the whole thing. I was telling myself, I might have had trouble with being around many people in the past, but perhaps, it won't be that bad this time now that I am willing to progress through this social anxiety, now that I have all these new skills and knowledge of the mind...
Anyway, I was very calm on the ride there consequently, but when we pulled up by the airport, I felt the adrenaline rush through my body, seeing all those crowds inside gave me jolt. It was turning into a nightmare, until I gave myself a very assertive "stop." Then, I slowed my breathing down a bit and breathe through my diaphragm and began to speak rational and realistic to myself. I kept saying things like, "other peoples approval doesn't matter to me," and "their emotions and thoughts is their business." It was kinda hard at first, but once I got the ball rolling, I was starting to have fun with my automatic negative thoughts.
As a result, I started getting loose, veryyy loose. I remember dancing at the airport with a bunch of people all around me without even giving a crap. It was such a nice and empowering moment. Anyways, at the end of the day, I'm so glad I went and took the moment as a challenge because it really paid off! :)
The best part about it is that I took no medication and didn't feel like I even needed it. I just felt normal, like myself

Represent Dr. Richards and CBT. Woot!

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Way to go! I could never get the CBT stuff to work for me, glad to see it works for someone. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts