Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Famed and elusive comic praises Blizzard's popular MMORPG at San Francisco nightclub appearance.

After indefinitely abandoning work on his hit Chappelle's Show, comedian Dave Chappelle absconded to South Africa to escape the fallout. Since returning to the US, he has made several unannounced appearances at Los Angeles comedy clubs, and this week played two little-publicized shows at the Punchline in San Francisco.

At his San Francisco gigs, Chappelle revealed he has also been getting away to a place farther off than Johannesburg--Azeroth, no less. Attendees to Chappelle's Tuesday night show said the comedian voiced his love of a certain popular MMORPG from Blizzard Entertainment.

"You know what I've been playing a lot of?" the comedian reportedly asked the crowd. "World of Warcraft!" When a few cheers broke out, he reportedly responded, "I knew I had some geek brothers and sisters up in here!" Chappelle also was said to have expressed his amusement seeing WoW characters with names referring to his most famous sketches, including a rogue with a name inspired by the famous "I'm Rick James, B****" sketch.

Chappelle is a long-standing and vocal fan of games. Most famously, he did a Grand Theft Auto parody on his highly rated (and now in limbo) sketch series, the second season of which has shattered sales records on DVD. He also reportedly turned down a major role in GTA: San Andreas, although his Chappelle's Show costar Charlie Murphy voiced a San Fierro pimp in the game.

·
Registered
229 Posts
That would be awesome if it is true.

·
Registered
435 Posts
man wtf. when i was in school, telling someone you were into video games was likely to get you beat up. telling someone you were into computer games was GUARANTEED to get you beat up. even just knowing how to turn on a computer was bad mojo. now, dave chapelle announces to a night club that he plays an mmo.... and gets cheers! how things change... i hope all the jocks and popular kids, that now own xbox's and ps2's and computers, that constantly haunted the video game/computer geeks, at least recognize SOME of the irony. despite the risk to personal health, geeks supported and built the industries they now love :p

hug a geek!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Geeks and gamers are treated like celebrities in asia. They have their own sponsers and everything.One of them who is in expert at AOC was dating some supermodel over there lol!

·
Registered
435 Posts
malcman said:
Geeks and gamers are treated like celebrities in asia. They have their own sponsers and everything.One of them who is in expert at AOC was dating some supermodel over there lol!
i know, it's crazy... but no more crazy than a football player getting millions to wave a stick of deodorant around on tv :)

·
Banned
11,364 Posts
The video game/computer game industry generates more money than the movie industry does now...Major titles can take several years to make, use lots of actors, sets etc, and cost millions of dollars to create...It is definitely not small potatoes anymore...I still like the old 16K games on the Atari and Commodore computers where your goal was to shoot everything that moved...Now games come with 200 page manuals, 30 command keys and functional buttons... :fall Cutting edge games were Zork 1, Star Raiders, Choplifter, and Zaxxon....We even games and programs on cassette tape!! :lol Try loading a game from a cassette recorder....S....L....O.....W..... Modems were 300 bps....About 2% of the speed of a 56K modem....

·
Registered
435 Posts
my first modem was 2400 baud, and my first major computer addiction was bbs's and civilization 1 :D legend of the red dragon... good times... the first console game i played was smurfs on the coleco :D

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Totally off topic, but one of the first PC games I played was Zork... awesome game :)

I checked out the code once... boy, was it ugly! Suprised it was so stable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts