Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
If you have a job or are going to school, then I don't see why it's so shameful. You can say that you're saving money.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
If you have a job or are going to school, then I don't see why it's so shameful. You can say that you're saving money.
That's what I say when people ask why I still live at home, only it's the truth. It's quite expensive to live in California. Once I save enough, I will certainly be moving out, though.

Anyway, I suggest maybe seeing if the person you want to ask out has a place or maybe there is a place you two could go (a good hotel, friend's house, etc). More daring people would just lock their room door, turn the t.v. or radio on sort of loud, and go at it. I guess it just depends on what you're willing to do and what that person is willing to stand.
I'm sure at your age your parents won't be in denial about you having a sex life, so they might not make a big deal out of you doing anything at home, but if they don't think it's good and you don't think it's respectful, maybe you should find another place.
If they're like my mother, she'd probably throw a party if I brought a guy home. Lol. I wouldn't do anything at home because it just seems too strange(and a little disrespectful), plus there are too many people here.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
It should be okay. I would not be thinking about anything beyond the dating/relationship part anyway. With the economy the way it is, it's probably more acceptable than before.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I don't even have my own room that I can take a girl to. I can technically stay at my dad's house, and I do in fact have my own room there, but my dad is pretty weird and also nosey, so I would never have a girl over there. My chances of having sex are very slim.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I don't even have my own room that I can take a girl to. I can technically stay at my dad's house, and I do in fact have my own room there, but my dad is pretty weird and also nosey, so I would never have a girl over there. My chances of having sex are very slim.
And I can see how this would be a problem if things are to that point. I guess one could get a hotel room but that might be considered somewhat presumptuous I guess... :lol

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
So, I'm 23 years old and still living at home. This has definitely taken a toll on my social and romantic life. I know it's a major turnoff to girls (understandably) and I don't know what exactly what would happen when it comes to sex... It's one of the reasons why I haven't asked a certain girl out. Are there any other people on SAS (especially guys) still living at home that are dating? Have you had any problems or major inconveniences?
There's nothing to be ashamed about if you live at home. The only thing that'll prevent you from doing is bring a girl for a night. If the girl likes you, she won't care. When it comes to relationship, where you live should be of no importance at first. The important thing is you are responsible, take care of your business, are stable, a great guy and you show that. It's one thing to not have a job and be at home, it's entirely another thing to be successful and choose to stay at home because you are saving or what other excuse you want to use.

In my case, I still do live with mom, someones gotta be around to watch out and take care of her. I'm not ashamed of this fact. I can see how people don't want to deal with family drama and all, but if they like/love you, they'll see you for the kind of person you are, not the value of your place, your status in society or what kind of car you drive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
im also 23 and still live at home, no real problems dating i used to bring my gf home all the time and sex wasnt really wierd or anything, my parents knew not to come in when she was over. if my mom wanted something she would text me from downstairs lol

she also lived at home, things were a little different when i went over there. her mom used to let herself in her room all the time (almost got caught more times then id like)

guess it just depends on what your parents are like

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I used to hang out in my room with my ex-boyfriend, but boy would I ever hear about it after my boyfriend went home. This was when I was 26. My dad is home all the time now so I don't think that I would bring a guy there. No way!

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
During the warmer months, if you have no place else to go and you want to do your business, you can always bring a blanket out into the woods. :)

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I'm 25, live with my dad, have a full time job, own a car, I pay room and board, don't make a very high salary (could not afford to rent an apartment especially with the new car), and because of that new car, I'm not moving out anytime soon.

I've never been on a date.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts