Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to approach girls in real life and failed miserably, like some of you already read in my previous threads. I've been thinking about going on a dating site but the problem is that I live in a tiny village so people will recognize me on the street if I put my picture on there.

I hear some of you already think: "then don't put up a picture and send one later if you have been talking for some time with a girl", but that's impossible. There's only one good and fairly popular dating site in my country, and this one requires at least one picture in order to be able to chat with other people.

It HAS to be a picture of your face and there is no tricking them. I tried and found out there are moderators on the site 24/7 who delete any pictures that do not contain your face.

So... what am I to do? :(

·
Banned
9,928 Posts
It's really hard to find someone though internet dating anyway. You are not missing out on much of an opportunity. Will they let you put up a fuzzy dark photo of yourself?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Why in the world would you care if people recognized you if there is the potential to meet a great person? Small price to pay if you ask me. There's not some crazy stigma attached to online dating anymore, at least not like back in the day. Its not creepy at all, its just being modern.

·
Registered
210 Posts
DO it!!!!!! Yes yes yes! Honestly wtf have u got to lose? Iv recognized ppl before, and u know what I honestly thought? Wow I bet they get a lot of action. Soooo many ppl do it now it's just not a big deal. For someone to recognize you they'd also have to be on the site too anyway! The worst thing I can think of is you not taking the opportunity, and possibly missing out on meeting an amazing person.

·
Banned
156 Posts
I've had zero luck with meeting anyone off dating sites. Irl or online. Social networks that don't specifically cater to dating, those are full of nice people. But dating sites? Full of boring people, at least for me. I'm sure others would have different experiences though.

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
From personal experience: No, dating sites are probably not a good idea.

I mean, some people apparently have some success with them, but I think, especially for people with SA, this is very much the exception and not the rule.

·
nascentes morimur
587 Posts
No, too much pride. I'd rather never find a girlfriend than be happy finding someone on some dating site. Not for me.

·
Registered
454 Posts
just deleted my okstupid profile today. the girls get thousands of messages and just like the attention. the guys never get approached by real/decent looking girls. I might go with match.com, just think that people actually paying something for the service are 1000x more serious to find a date then to play games.

·
Banned
156 Posts
just deleted my okstupid profile today. the girls get thousands of messages and just like the attention. the guys never get approached by real/decent looking girls. I might go with match.com, just think that people actually paying something for the service are 1000x more serious to find a date then to play games.
Seriously, I'm on Okcupid, and they delete their profiles midway through your conversation with them without any indication at all. They also get bored after the first 3 messages and don't bother talking to you again. And to top it all off, not too many have a good sense of humor...or, at least MY sense of humor, anyway.

·
Banned
9,928 Posts
LOL I dont' know, maybe I am just lucky. The important thing is you have to put yourself out there.
Looks like you live in a large metro area. With that many people you are going to be more likely to find someone. It's much less likely to happen in a smaller town or rural area.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
You'll be surprised; People will play games on dating sites even if they pay for them. It's fruitless to compare men vs. women on dating sites, the supply and demand factor is far too great. You should not have deleted the profile... Online dating is more about timing than anything. There are good, genuine people out there. You just have to really really put the effort in to find them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts