Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a senior and high school and I have never had a real girlfriend. Are there alot of people out there that just dont feel like wasting their time in high school and want to wait for a real relationship? Also,
What percentage of guys do you think date in high school?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Im not sure what you mean by a "real" relationship but in regards to your second question id say 90%+ date in high school i may be wrong?

·
SAS Member
31,298 Posts
Any experience couldn't hurt. One thing to consider though is that your school year is almost over, so unless you two stay in the same area, your relationship probably won't work out.

·
Shift Happens
454 Posts
I think you can still have a reasonably good relationship while still in high school. I know several people who fell in love/married their high school sweethearts so i don't think it's impossible to have a real relationship while relatively young. I think probably about 50% of people date in high school, that's just from my observation at my former high school.

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
I don't think it's unusual to have not dated in high school. I know tons of people at my highschool that didn't date, and I think it's perfectly acceptable to want to avoid the drama and tension that usually accompany high school relationships.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm still partially under the naive impression that no one in my high school really dated. I rarely saw any evidence of it at least. They certainly didn't have sex. *is in a dreamworld*:yes

Any experience couldn't hurt. One thing to consider though is that your school year is almost over, so unless you two stay in the same area, your relationship probably won't work out.
He can always try to do like in Superbad.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
I don't think it's unusual to have not dated in high school. I know tons of people at my highschool that didn't date, and I think it's perfectly acceptable to want to avoid the drama and tension that usually accompany high school relationships.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. :)
:ditto I met my first "real" boyfriend my freshman year in college.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I met my fiance in secondary school, so they can be real & very serious relationships :)

I think a lot of people date in secondary school, but when you're younger (11 - 15) it doesn't really mean much. I think it's sixth form where the real relationships blossom. I know five couples, not including me and my fiance, who are still together after secondary school and one of them, like me, is engaged.

·
Registered
306 Posts
All I'm going to say is high school is probably the easiest time to find someone to date. If you actually like someone by all means go for it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I met my boyfriend at high school when we were 16 and we are still together 3 and a half years later, it can be real.

I didnt notice that many people dating, most of them dated people from outside of our school so you didnt really hear about it, but lots of people didnt at all.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Eh...in my opinion, at this age, if there's a girl you're at all interested in, you have to go for it. I went through all the excuses with various girls -- I don't have the time, I don't have money, I don't have a car, she wouldn't want to talk to me, she's a grade below me, I'm moving away for college anyway, blah blah blah.

I didn't have a girlfriend until I was 22 (single now) and I realized that short term relationships have a hell of a lot going for them, especially when you're young.

Most guys have one or two serious girlfriends in their teens/early twenties, get married, then surprise surprise surprise, hit a midlife crisis 10, 20 or 30 years later where kids may be involved. I'm being very serious, is that how you want to define your life, especially when you have no idea from experience about how relationships work?

Of course, it's easy to tell young guys to "go for it" but most of us don't remember what a miserable environment it was.

In case I get flamed: yes, it's possible to find your perfect match in your first relationship. It's also possible to win $100 million in Powerball, or play major league baseball, or win a Nobel Prize, but for some reason that doesn't happen for most people.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There were a few "serious" couples when I was in high school and everyone kind of hated them for one reason or another. 4 years later and none of them are still together as far as I know.

My point is, HS kinda blows. I had a tough time finding someone to date in HS, and when I did, it wasn't "real" or something I think back on with great fondness. HS is the time to focus on grades and graduation. Being with the same 1,000 people (like 200 in your grade, if it's anything like mine was) for 4 years limits the dating pool. Just wait till more doors open up.

Um, so, long story shorter: I didn't fall in love until my third year of college!!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
high school dating is almost a pet pevee of mine. Whenever i see a couple all over each other in the hall, i cant help to pity them, since i knw they will break up next week and move on. I just do stuff with girls for fun (friends with benefits i guess). i wouldnt devote myself to a relationship i knw wont last when i can just wait till college, when i know it might mean something. Im a junior in high school.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i mean if you feel comfortable around the girl then i would say go for it...in my experience its not even worth talking to guys....i'd rather just be alone rightn now and focus on my grades

·
Registered
214 Posts
I never dated in high school; I was more focused on school, and I'm really not into hookups, so I decided just to wait until college.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts