Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a rough year for me so far and I have gone from prn usage to twice daily (2mg x2). I have known other xanax users to use up to 4x daily. I don't think I need it that often, but was just curious how others experiences have been with this.

Thanks for any responses...

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Have you tried taking it as 1 mg x 4 instead of 2 mg x 2? I'm not sure if you're trying to cover more of the day as the drug wears off of if you need 2 mg at a time to get an adequate effect.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Hey man. The bird is the word.

I go on Xanax 3x daily. I will soon go to 4x daily. I find it is best to start low and if 1 pill doesn't cut it then you can take another fairly soon thereafter.

If you were me I would take 1mg 4x daily as needed for the anxiousness.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the idea of spreading it out, maybe I will try that. I was on just 2mg per day (prn) for over 4 years and after the year I have had so far that just isn't enough.

If you're using 4mg a day and have been for a while, you most definitely will get quite a nasty withdrawal.
Thanks for the info, but why would I stop taking a med that helps me so much....mate??

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Thanks for the info, but why would I stop taking a med that helps me so much....mate??
You heard about tolerance?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I like the idea of spreading it out, maybe I will try that. I was on just 2mg per day (prn) for over 4 years and after the year I have had so far that just isn't enough.
Xanax wears off pretty quickly, so it's not unreasonable to take 4-5 doses a day. I used to take up to 8mg spread out over 3-5 doses.

I call it "cutting your losses". There are much better drugs than benzos out there, not just because they're sustainable; they are actually so much more fun to take and push your life in positive directions instead of the benzo route towards being the "that guy who always seems drunk and never remembers anything".

If you're gonna take benzos, at least get on a stimulant or MAOI too. Otherwise you'll find yourself sleeping your life away, or slipping into depression (benzos can do this).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Xanax wears off pretty quickly, so it's not unreasonable to take 4-5 doses a day. I used to take up to 8mg spread out over 3-5 doses.

I call it "cutting your losses". There are much better drugs than benzos out there, not just because they're sustainable; they are actually so much more fun to take and push your life in positive directions instead of the benzo route towards being the "that guy who always seems drunk and never remembers anything".

If you're gonna take benzos, at least get on a stimulant or MAOI too. Otherwise you'll find yourself sleeping your life away, or slipping into depression (benzos can do this).
I call it "saving my life." I appreciate the insight, friend, but xanax does not make me "drunk". As far as a stimulant, see my thread about xanax + coffee.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
"that guy who always seems drunk and never remembers anything".
Otherwise you'll find yourself sleeping your life away, or slipping into depression (benzos can do this).
You have to differentiate between benzodiazepine abuse (which you might have done?) and longterm benzodiazepine treatment. When I was prescribed 8mg Klonopin for 9 months in the past I never seemed drunk or slept my life away. Nobody could tell I was on that drug except I told him (this includes doctors).

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
You have to differentiate between benzodiazepine abuse (which you might have done?) and longterm benzodiazepine treatment. When I was prescribed 8mg Klonopin for 9 months in the past I never seemed drunk or slept my life away. Nobody could tell I was on that drug except I told him (this includes doctors).
I was exaggerating quite a bit, but benzos will always tend towards disinhibition and cognitive impairment. Depending on dose, it might be so minor as to be unnoticeable, or as overt as a drunk person, but whatever the case it will be there.

There is also the fact that tolerance develops to sedation more quickly than anxiolysis, but it doesn't appear to develop much to cognitive dumbing.

This whole debate will be over when alpha-5 antagonists are developed. Benzos will cease to cause stupidity.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I take klonopin prn. Sometimes for high stress situations ill take 3mg. It has no sedating/drunk feeling( not anymore but it did when i first started it) or mind numbing/ stupid effects, It just takes me one more step towards feeling normal. When im on it no one can tell im on it. Everybody reacts differently to drugs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
ive been taking 3 x.5mg of xanax for the past nine months everyday. this past week i was switched to clonazapam, with the same dose. for myself, i do notice a difference. the xanax does work better for the "immediate" anxiety suppressor, but it does tend to wear off quickly, as well as your body building a tolerance to it. the clonazapam, and again this is for me, definitley seems to be a better fit. my general anxiety has definitley been more "level" with the new bz. (i also take 100mg zoloft once a day) and ive never felt "drunk" taking xanax, unless i was drinking. and no, i dont mix alcohol w/ xanax, but sometimes i would take one prior to a social gathering where i would have a few drinks. i can only remember one time where the two of them made me pretty tired. and again, this is only for myself, alcohol almost seems to be a stimulant for me. alls i know is that not everyone has the same reactions to medications. example: my dr gave me some sample of ambien cr 12.5, i took two, on an empty stomach like it suggests, and i wound up staying up for nearly two days in a row. so my point is that everyone reacts different to bz's. and if you have any concerns, call your doctor or pharmacist, theyre there to help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts