Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here's the deal.

I don't want SSRI's anymore but am on Klonopin and need to get off that so I can go back to taking them as needed. I have to wean myself from taking avg of 4 mg a day. I am also on Dexadrine which I really need to get off of also. I'm on 10 mg 3 times a day. When I go down a bit in klonopin, I get so tired I can't function and become depressed. I am VERY sensitive to med changes and going down in dexedrine is really hard because I can't function and just want to sleep. I may bee somewhat bipolar, but lower on the spectrum. Wondering what will help me get through tapering off what I'm on and what I can take that will help, at least for now..

Any experiences with any of these is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Okay here's the deal.

I don't want SSRI's anymore but am on Klonopin and need to get off that so I can go back to taking them as needed. I have to wean myself from taking avg of 4 mg a day. I am also on Dexadrine which I really need to get off of also. I'm on 10 mg 3 times a day. When I go down a bit in klonopin, I get so tired I can't function and become depressed. I am VERY sensitive to med changes and going down in dexedrine is really hard because I can't function and just want to sleep. I may bee somewhat bipolar, but lower on the spectrum. Wondering what will help me get through tapering off what I'm on and what I can take that will help, at least for now..

What I don't understand is that you get tired when you go down a little bit from the Klonopin, normally you should get more alert and have increased anxiety.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
cymbalta and zyprexa didnt do squat for me. I also take clonazepam seems to be the only one helping

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
So I'm looking for the easiest yet fastest way to wean so I can get back to where I was. I'd like to try that by using an alernative med to help me wean off, you see.
Maybe I'd find it helped in the long run? That would be great.
Of course, eventually, my goal is to be med free.
Except for maybe only klonopin once or twice a week and that is it.
For the most part there are no quick fixes to benzo withdrawal. You just have to accept either several months of nightmareish withdrawal symptoms, or many many months of tapering.

For a taper to work you have to have zero relief of anxiety from your dose, in fact, you need to have very slight anxiety and other withdrawals so the receptors can adjust. If your dose provides anxiety relief, makes you sleepy or dumb to any extent at all, you are still going in the wrong direction.

Yes there are ideas like using phenobarbital to withdraw, but good luck finding a doctor willing to prescribe barbs.

There are some supplements you can consider such as theanine, glutamine, etc., but for the body to revert to its original homeostasis I imagine these could be counterproductive. Maybe not though as they don't hit the benzo receptors but GABA-A and B instead... Guess there's only one way to find out.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Gabapentin or Pregabalin may be useful for a faster Klonopin taper. Using an equivalent dose Phenobarbital you could stop the Klonopin cold without any discomfort and taper the Pheno down over 3-4 weeks, but I'm not sure your Pdoc prescribes it to you (at least you could ask). Low dose Selegiline + DL-Phenylalanine might ease the Dexedrine withdrawal symptoms. Are you taking other meds too or just Klonopin + Dexedrine?

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
Okay here's the deal.

from my bf: I found Cymbalta to be a sugar pill at 60mgs, take Zyprexa for an appetite stimulant and works well, havent tried Lamictal, Remeron made me too drowsy to continue to figure out if it would help or not, Lyrica was a sugar pill at 150mgs x 3 a day and I havent tried Oxcarbazepam.:D

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I can confirm that both gabapentin and pregabalin ease benzo withdrawals significantly, plus operate through a different mechanism so they don't interfere with withdrawal. Unfortunately they're not particularly nice drugs, having "dumbing" effects and also causing major speech problems (stuttering, etc.) for me.

Also, gabapentin caused a horrible degree of depression when I took it. Really not a nice feeling.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
In general Gabapentin and Pregabalin are well tolerated, dizziness and somnolence being the main side effects. Stuff like Topiramate is for sure uglier (memory/speech problems...) and symptoms of benzo withdrawal aren't that nice too, maybe it's just you? Many describe higher doses of Neurontin as quite a nice little "high".

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
In general Gabapentin and Pregabalin are well tolerated, dizziness and somnolence being the main side effects. Stuff like Topiramate is for sure uglier (memory/speech problems...) and symptoms of benzo withdrawal aren't that nice too, maybe it's just you? Many describe higher doses of Neurontin as quite a nice little "high".
Neurontin gave me a pleasurable high when I wasn't in benzo withdrawal. When I entered withdrawal and took some, it made me depressed and stuttery. Totally anecdotal, I know. I still say they're a good idea for withdrawal though -- 3g of Neurontin eliminated most withdrawal symptoms.

One thing's for sure: I would never take either on a long-term basis due to their anti-intelligence nature, like other CNS-inhibitory drugs.

·
Fun...Fluid...Formidable
7,159 Posts
I just don't have any experience with these meds friend. Persevere and you'll get there.

·
Registered
266 Posts
zyprexa and cymbalta was a good combo for me for a while, seemed to help depression by quite a bit, I put on a lot of weight though. Had to add a benzo to help anxiety though. In the long run it wasnt right for me though, I really needed something that boosted dopamine rather than blocked it.

·
Fun...Fluid...Formidable
7,159 Posts
Oops, I lied. :doh I have taken Remeron. I'm very sensitive to chemicals too. This made me sleep and I had to cut in fourths. I thought it increased my appetite to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts