Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used to be a cutter, because of being so depressed and dealing with my SA. I hated myself and I felt like I didn't know how to cope with all the frustration. Has anyone experienced cutting, or even self-harm in general

·
Time Lord
178 Posts
a little bit, nothing too drastic
I don't anymore...not really
scarification and tattoos have taken self-harm's place I guess...I get the same endorphin/adrenalin (IDK which) rush...so....

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
yea. i'm trying to think back to the last time and it was almost two weeks ago that i last had a bout of self-injury. that seems like a long time. i've been doing it on and off for seven or eight years. i don't think it's a major problem in my life but it has also become so common and i'm so used to it that it is just like the other usual not-too-great habits that i do in moderation like drinking, smoking marijuana, eating unhealthy foods, etc.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
***Thread Advisory***
I added the "possible triggers" in the subject line. Reading a thread like this could trigger self-harm activity. Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i self injure too i havent for about 3 weeks now
its hard not to do it

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've never done it, but don't you have scars on your arms now? Does it hurt and why do people do it? Is it because it takes the emotional pain away?

·
I am a wildcat
2,266 Posts
I have in the past, but excessive drinking basically replaced it.

I still have some scars all down my arms, but I don't think they're that noticeable after nearly 10 years, unless you look closely. I did it because of a mixture of self-loathing and it being the only thing I could do when my mind was just a swirl of suicidal thoughts and despair.

·
intimacy without pain
1,192 Posts
I used to do it every day. Cutting and a lot of other methods I probably shouldn't go into because I don't want to trigger anyone. But I haven't self-harmed for about a month now, which is longer than I've gone in quite awhile!

I have to admit I've been feeling the urge crop up again, though. Trying to fight through it, because I know once I start again I won't be able to stop. I wish I could develop healthier coping mechanisms.

Congrats to those who have successfully quit. Proud of you. :) And to those that are still struggling...I'm pulling for you!

·
Proud2BeAnIntrovert
21 Posts
I used to when I took adderal (I had a prescription for it I did not abuse it). Now I am off and doing a lot better but I still have scars on my arms. I had dermittilomania which is a type of OCD. It occurs when you excessively pick at certain areas of your body, usually to cope with anxiety.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts