Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anybody that has or does work in Customer Service... Whether it is in person or you work from home...

I would love to hear advice, tips, resource suggestions about improving in this type of job.

Or maybe share experiences...

Or if you work at home, maybe job lead suggestions...

· Registered
145 Posts
in my experience it was a very very difficult job to do especially for those who have difficulty being social or making conversation. I think it's a job that most people regardless of mental health issues have trouble with. I have a lot of respect for people that can maintain this job, I don't have any tips other than maybe regular meditation sessions.

· Registered
90 Posts
I hated working customer service jobs. I hated dealing with entitled people. Especially when they scream in your face for little things. On top of that customer service jobs don't pay very well. I don't have any tips either. Just do the best you can to survive.

· Super Moderator
10,208 Posts
I think the key to doing customer service type jobs is to be able to separate the emotional personal aspect of yourself from the objective aspect of yourself. And being able to just block away the former for the time being for as long as you're doing the job. Kind of like grooming yourself to be an efficient talking scripted robot/machine free of emotions, and nothing more. And to always remember that, whoever you're interacting with, these are the people you're unlikely to interact with again and not people you will have to ever know personally. So knowing this, no matter how upset or happy they are with you, it will not matter once the short time frame if have to interact with them is over. For some this is easier and comes natural for them. For most, it will take lots of practice and emotionally numbing over time. For some, especially for those with social anxiety and mental health reasons as said above, it will be more difficult to adapt to.

· Registered
18,273 Posts
I've actually worked in retail in the past but would prefer not to do it again - now I sell online and most queries are dealt with in writing.

I've been staying at a lot of hotels lately and I have no idea how reception staff deal with rude and pushy guests. They have a lot more patience than I do. I would want to hit them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts