Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have to always tell customer service reps that I was not a ma'am whenever I called them and it was very frustrating to me. 9 times out of 10 people assumed I'm a women when I was calling even though I told them I my first name is Jacob, which, is a guy's name. They kept calling ma'am. I have no idea if it was what I was talking about, and perhaps that says something about the intelligence of the people working for them. But, they don't do that anymore. They used to do this 9 times out of 10 every time that I would call them. It would get very frustrating.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Is that from being more relaxed?

For some people, tensing up can cause the voice to rise in pitch. That could be it.

Good for you on seeing the results! :boogie :boogie :boogie

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That could be it but I don't know if that's it or not. I think I once listened to a recording of myself while making an answering machine message and I realized that I was talking way too slowly. In the past I've been criticized for talking too quickly but I've been talking so slowly that it was not fast enough and it ended up coming out long and drawn out, so maybe I sounded like an older lady.

Also, I've been listening to a lot of music, well, since I do DJ two shows at campus lately (I just started last semester). I've always liked music but I've been getting into music a lot more than I have in the past, so, I think that I've been much better at understanding speaking tones more. I understand the way words are spoken and by listening to all the hip hop songs I've listened to and the rock songs it's given me somewhat of a keener ear to things than I would not otherwise have and it's helped me organize me think about how I sound when I talk better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts