Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone look at the cars in parking lots in malls/stores/etc and become almost jealous because you know they are in there going about their lives and able to function doing so. I do this all the time.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Holy sh*t, I am guilty of this. Just imagine everything playing out like a swell little melody for them to ride...It's rather self defeating, but that's my middle name, so. You aren't alone in this quirky respect.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I don't, my SA prevents me from going out to public places where people are around. I get panic attacks and have to leave right away.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I've got severe SAD, so I can relate...

*Sigh*, unfortunately I know the feeling. I sometimes take walks at night and stare out on this highway by my house, watching people drive by, just thinking "How can they do it?!".

How can they just go about their lives like that...? :(

·
totally destroying it
4,484 Posts
I mostly wonder what they're going to do as opposed to get jealous.

I'm so lonely, that when I see someone alone I automatically think they're lonely, too, so there's not a lot of room for jealousy; mostly empathy. *shrugs*

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
I don't get that from looking at cars, no. But sometimes I do by looking at happy couples and families and wishing that was me.

:fall

·
serious
340 Posts
I make myself go in.
Not just 'go in' because then you can run away when the panic gets epic, and that just reinforces negative behaviour patterns.

Set a task, 'I am going to go in, and buy a drink, sit on a bench and drink it slowly, then leave'
Or set a time frame, 15 mins.
Usually a task with a minimum time frame works best.

Sure I have a panic attack, but each time you do it and not run away, you build up a tiny bit more resistance.
I have built up an ok buffer by doing this over the years.
It won't cure the core of your problem, you need CBT for that, but it has helped me.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
If you lived in my city, I force you to go out and experience the things you missed out on. I'm having to do that for my best friend who has what I call, "Tough Guy SA".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts