Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has/ had depression and (on reflection) SA although it is not something we have ever talked about. I am pretty much estranged from my small family. My dad doesn't really speak unless at a rare family gathering, and then its only chit chat, and my mum is (I feel) a bit cold and I don't really see her as a typical 'mum' type.

I think my dads mum killed herself, but again, can't be sure.

This has got to be hereditary as I remeber having some of the symptoms after leaving junior school, well before my dad's first breakdown.

I have been on meds for depression before, but came off them due to pressure from partner, weight gain and a suggestion that they were causing loss of libido (not that I ever had one, or have had one since!). I wasn't specifically diagnosed with SA, and I hadn't come across this website before. I was body dismorphic (since alleviated by cosmetic surgery), and I had only mentioned a lack of friends to the doctor.

I am sceptical about further meds, but can't see how CBT or talking about my past can really help if this was something I was born with. Does anyone have any relevant experience here?

Thanks

x

·
Registered
881 Posts
my family has a history if depression, anxiety, and other mostly anxiety related disorders, like anorexia and stuff. my grandpa is really shy, and worries a ton. my mom also worries way too much, and my little brother shows symptoms of OCD. I have been diagnosed with OCD and depression, and social anxiety. Specific genes can and are passed down from generation to generation. for example, researchers have found that a gene regulating the production of serotonin (5ht) in the brain is carried and expressed in families with anxiety and depressive disorders. many mutations/abnormalities can happen in the network of neurotransmitters and receptors in the brain. many of these appear to be related to having too little serotonin.

you should be skeptical about meds, especially SSRIs, like prozac and lexapro, because they will nearly always cause side effects such as reduced libido and apathy, and sometimes memory loss. raising Serotonin in the brain can counteract the serotonin deficit, and can have beneficial effects on anxiety symptoms. But raising Serotonin with SSRIs will lower another neurotransmitter called "Dopamine" in the brain. You need to have an adequate balance of Serotonin and Dopamine to function properly.

learning about the medicines and how they effect your brain can have a tremendous impact on your ability to help yourself. many times, doctors will not understand your condition completely. I suggest taking SSRIs with Dopaminergic medications, such as Bupropion, which can counteract the sexual side effects of the SSRI. Meds need to be prescribed and taken in the right combinations to be effective. CBT can be helpful in understanding the origin of social anxiety and stuff, but many times it doesnt seem to help me as much as meds do.

·
3rd SAS Battalion
886 Posts
There is overwhelming evidence that mental illness runs in families. How and to what extent I do not know. You cannot change the past, but you can change the future. I do not think that you are destined to remain mentally ill, if you work on changing it then you will change.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Let's see .. I have an uncle who went into politics. However, even though he is competent at the job itself... he lacks the charisma and extroversion of a usual politician .. and as you can imagine, this works againsts him.

I have one brother who (upon reflection) worries alot, and i think my father is overly cautious.

I would be lying to say that my family is as severe as the O.P.

The most I can say is I sympathise somewhat.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The only person in my family who has a mental illness is my uncle. We don't see him anymore since he became ill, but apparently he suffers from schizophrenia. What does this mean for me? who knows..

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Looking at my first and second-degree relatives (past & present), I can note anxiety disorders, depression and schizophrenia off the top of my head. I could include even more as having excessive but sub-clinical levels of anxiety.

It's hard to separate a family's learnt behavioural trends from genetics and diet/environment though, and a sensible person would conclude that all are likely to play a role. Saying things like "serotonin deficiency is the cause of depression" or "dopamine excess is the cause of schizophrenia" is oversimplified, unproven, and most probably completely wrong, and gives biological approaches to these disorders a very bad reputation amongst psychologists. Even if someone has a mutation in serotonin-related genes, that doesn't suddenly nullify the other factors.

On the other hand we have pure psychologists like the anti-psychiatry movement (many of which are Scientologist retards), who think drugs should not be used in mental disorders. I would like to see these people given a drug called reserpine, then asked if they still think depression can't have a biological cause.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts