Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've slowly come to the realization that SA people are much more likely to be targeted by cults and successfully recruited.

Why? Because they practice love bombing.

What is love bombing?

Love bombing is the deliberate show of affection or friendship by an individual or a group of people toward another individual. Critics have asserted that this action may be motivated in part by the desire to recruit, convert or otherwise influence.
It's a well known feature among cults. While anyone can be targeted by cults and anyone would welcome being completely loved anonymous strangers, I think people with SA are more likely to be overwhelmed. I mean here we go through life mostly friendless, some of us with a very limited support network and then out of the mist comes a group of people all offering instant friendship. Cults have always been known to target people going through transitional periods, IE: a lost job, losing a loved one ect. However SA people go through life more or less terminally friendless, so love bombing is much more potent than someone whom already has a network for friends to fall back on.

My own experience with this is my brother was brainwashed into a cult several years ago. It's not a hardcore cult and there's still a semblance of his personality left, but ultimately it's a cult and he'll remain their forever.

I bring this post up because over the years I'd been solicited by my brothers cult. They use standard cult recruiting techniques. As a result of never having friends from time to time I've slowly slipped down their slide, only to catch myself and wake myself up. These cults don't care about solving your SA, nor about you. Their goal is to recruit you. Love bombing is just a means to an end. The only reason why I've at times let myself come close to becoming more involved with them is because the social appeal is so immense. So in conclusion, cults target SA people and our defenses are much easier to pass.

As one SA person to another SA person, never ever trust cults. If anyone has experience with cults and the way to combat them please post for the rest of us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been involved in Project Chanology, so I know quite a bit about Scientology. Be EXTREMELY wary of those "free stress tests." Heres a good video about cults and how they recruit people.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
This is something SAers (esp those with a very thin social network) should be aware of; cults, churches, sects, organizations or bad-intended people could very well target us with that type of strategy (love-bombing).

I haven't been approach by cults. The closest thing thats come to that was a MLM company where one of my friend is (Primerica i think is the name, but not exactly sure). Overthere, from my understanding, they have a huge (fake) team spirit, cheer-up, friendly-looking people, disillusionnal promesses (they promess you you'll be rich, when they make in average less than 10k a year, my friend overthere even had to move back to her mother's) they love to say things like :"you have the potential to join us, i'm sure you would be good" when in fact they recruit anybody, and they just want to recruit you and keep you there afterwards.

To come back to the SA part, i'm actually surprised there is not that much proselytism/recruiting around here, as we could be an "easy" target for those people. Is it forbidden by the rules of the forum? (I hope it is)

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is something SAers (esp those with a very thin social network) should be aware of; cults, churches, sects, organizations or bad-intended people could very well target us with that type of strategy (love-bombing).

I haven't been approach by cults. The closest thing thats come to that was a MLM company where one of my friend is (Primerica i think is the name, but not exactly sure). Overthere, from my understanding, they have a huge (fake) team spirit, cheer-up, friendly-looking people, disillusionnal promesses (they promess you you'll be rich, when they make in average less than 10k a year, my friend overthere even had to move back to her mother's) they love to say things like :"you have the potential to join us, i'm sure you would be good" when in fact they recruit anybody, and they just want to recruit you and keep you there afterwards.

To come back to the SA part, i'm actually surprised there is not that much proselytism/recruiting around here, as we could be an "easy" target for those people. Is it forbidden by the rules of the forum? (I hope it is)
I hate to admit but I was recruited to two MLM's. And they do everything you said. I was smart enough not to get too involved but in the end I did lose some time and money.

I'd hope the moderators around here could protect us from fishy recruiting. Even though it is much harder to pull a person in from over the internet. But I think the moderators are competent.

I hate these cult and cult-like organizations. They are cowardly, oh "don't go approach the confident person who will laugh in our face"... "no let's go target that socially anxious person who can't verbally defend themselves".

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I hate to admit but I was recruited to two MLM's. And they do everything you said. I was smart enough not to get too involved but in the end I did lose some time and money.

I'd hope the moderators around here could protect us from fishy recruiting. Even though it is much harder to pull a person in from over the internet. But I think the moderators are competent.

I hate these cult and cult-like organizations. They are cowardly, oh "don't go approach the confident person who will laugh in our face"... "no let's go target that socially anxious person who can't verbally defend themselves".
Ouch, sorry you where involved, at least you were wise enough to pull out before losing everything. For myself, my friend and her "coach" tried to recruit me, they invited me to "information conference" (they didn't told me what all that was about until it started), but I just didn't trust that organization, I always felt ...uncomfortable there, like if it's all phony and too good to be true.

As for these forum, those fishy recruiting must be forbidden, since I don't remember seeing any of that on this forum.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I don't think they really know about people with SA, its a very misunderstood , and poorly known disorder. wouldn't work with me though, I don't trust most people anyway. :sus

·
Gentle Impulsion
7,792 Posts
Don't drink the koolaid.
LMAO!!

yes but in all seriousness thanks for the info. we don't have much of a problem with cults in our tiny hick town haha but i'm sure it happens xD

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I don't think they really know about people with SA, its a very misunderstood , and poorly known disorder. wouldn't work with me though, I don't trust most people anyway. :sus
They might don't know SA as a disorder (they probably even care about SA's existence), but these cults/organizations will target people who are unhappy in their lives, that don't have much friends, single/unhappy with their love life, depressed, etc. which, sadly, are characteristics that too many SAers have. But they don't target specificly people with SA, they will go with anyone that has problems and that could more easily fall for them.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Not really news, religious groups/cults have always targeted vulnerable people. Low self esteem and lack of fulfilment makes some people easy pray for predatory recruitment. Mentally ill people, teenagers and students are easy targets for that very reason.

·
The b**** is back
1,121 Posts
Don't drink the koolaid.
^This.

I've actually got some family members involved in something called The Journey. I went through an intensely traumatic experience (of my own doing, I admit) at the start of the year and, though I have no doubt they sincerely thought they could help, the first thing these relatives did was come over to see me, got in my face (I think they saw it as an intervention but it was an ambush) and told me that they thought if I didn't join them in The Journey it would happen again and I'd die. They also told me I should put The Journey before university. The plan was that they would pick me up and drive me home from weekly appointments with some Journey "therapist."

I opted not to (it's a cult and I've always thought so.) But because I felt guilty over what had happened I felt I couldn't be frank and I felt I should be grateful and apologetic at the time. But now I get angrier and angrier when I think about it, because that's exactly what these organizations count on- pouncing on vulnerable people in their darkest hour and sucking them in when their defences are down. These relatives think I'm ungrateful and selfish and I think they're brainwashed and pushy. We are not speaking at the moment.

·
Banned
1,662 Posts
I think New Boyz You're A Jerk has something to do with cults

In the begging of the music video it said "skee.TV", i think its a subliminal message because you see (SKEET) V
skeet 5517 up, 1350 down
-semen, to ejaculate
Don't skeet on me.

Is that skeet on your pants
Here is a quote from the lyrics
I'm on my way
We pulled up to the party ices on my shirt and got geeked up everybody jerkin
We was jerkin to the right jerkin to the left
lol what my perverted mind is telling me "Jerk" like jerking off jacking off masturbation and so on. So i think this video is about people going to party's and jacking off:sus some kinda of mass mind control.

Sometimes I'm kinda glad i have SA since i don't really get out much I'm not expose to stuff like this. I don't even watch TV, i haven't watch TV in years.... I'm only 16 i don't know whats "cool" anymore, i feel so weird at school or at the mall everyone is dressing weird...I hate when guys wear skinny jeans I especially hate how people dress inthat video. GOD I HATE THIS WEIRD GENERATION. well I'm just a lonely hater... no offense to people here who like dressing with skinny jeans and stuff like that. I know with my attitude i will never get over my SA. I gotta learn to accept other but i don't want to!

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
Ironically, a lot of things in America make use of the same ideas the previous video showed. Commercials, sales, reliance on drugs.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Thanks for this thread, man. Thanks for the heads up, we really need to be more aware of this.

Why just this week, after work I sat in the park, by myself eating some snack, and as I was about to leave, this lady approached me with a pamphlet.
Luckily, she wasn't very assertive and it was just the usual 'other christian denomination' pamphlet.

But now that you have posted this thread, I realize- me sitting by my lonesome-Jim self .. makes quite a target.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can only speak for myself, but I would definitely not be comfortable being "love-bombed" by a group of complete strangers.

·
Registered
606 Posts
This wouldn't work on me. I don't know how to allow myself to be liked. If I did I wouldn't have a problem. I wouldn't know how to deal with it and would be frightened and extremely uncomfortable and hence would be looking to vacate asap. I can see how that love bombing thing would work on some people. Would scare the crap out of me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts