Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had a problem getting watery eyed when I'm around a group of people (classroom, friends family) whenever there is something slightly sad on tv or movie ect...

On my own, I never have a reaction like that. If I'm watching a sad movie, I may feel kind of sad but no tears. Around people and its "Oh god, how do I get away from this!!!".

A really good friend is getting married soon and that fact that sometimes people cry at weddings is making me super nervous. Never been to a wedding...

Anyone else do this?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I cry all the time.

When life is in shambles, it needs to be done, there's no way around it, there's no short cuts. When you failed in life, you can make crying your main priority or you can try really hard to step out of your comfort zone(which is very difficult to do)

·
behind you
748 Posts
I think it's like self-consciousness or something. This is what happens to me:
*something sad*
In your head:
"Whatever you do don't cry, just hold the tears"
*gets sadder*
"Come on man there's so many people here, they will make fun of you if you cry!"
We think about it too much and as a result it happens.
Like if someone says "Don't get up from your chair until you stop thinking about penguins" you will have a hard time getting out of your chair!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it's like self-consciousness or something. This is what happens to me:
*something sad*
In your head:
"Whatever you do don't cry, just hold the tears"
*gets sadder*
"Come on man there's so many people here, they will make fun of you if you cry!"
We think about it too much and as a result it happens.
Like if someone says "Don't get up from your chair until you stop thinking about penguins" you will have a hard time getting out of your chair!
Exactly the same for me. It's not just the being made fun of that is bothering me, it's how I will be perceived by my closest friends. In situations like this, I don't feel like the people around me are observing me as the real me. It's like my actual emotions aren't being interpreted correctly by my body. I don't know any strategies on how to deal with this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts