Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I filed a maintenance request with the superindendent a few months ago because my ceiling was showing water damage and was starting to crumble. It's crumbling right around my a/c unit, so I'm assuming the upstairs neighbour's a/c is leaking or something. Contractors have been by twice since then on regular maintenance visits (once for the yearly apartment inspection, and once for the yearly a/c inspection), and both times, I again mentioned the crumbling ceiling.

I'm going to mention it again on Friday (the only day I can see the super), but I am not holding my breath for anything to come of it.

So my question to you, SAS: is there any point at all in patching the ceiling myself, or might that make things worse? I want to avoid a full cave-in, and I'm sure I can't do that with a little plaster, but maybe it would help? Maybe not? I don't know. For your reference, the building is circa 1971 and ceiling cave-ins are a fairly common problem.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I had my bedroom ceiling cave in two years ago for the same thing, water damage (though from a broken roof tile) and it was showing cracks before hand. I'd mentioned it to them but like most landlords they don't care or want to know unless it's really really messed up i.e the ceiling actually falls. I guess it's cheaper (in the long run) and easier for them to wait for it to fall before fixing. Sadly.
I have huge cracks in my walls that I point out and my toilet ceiling will no doubt fall before too long but I think it would be a waste of time for me to point it out again.

You could drag them over and say "LOOK!". They might do something *shrugs*.
Personally I wouldn't touch it, might be dangerous and no doubt futile. Could make it worse... though if it falls then they have to fix it >_<

pics of my old room (I still sleep in the meals area because they haven't put in insulation yet) >_<

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I suggest that if you can afford it, you should move. Something is definitely wrong somewhere and if they won't even bother to fix it, you should take that as evidence that they'll probably let even more serious things slide as well. It sounds like they're just milking their tenants and will probably sell the property or something when all the problems get so bad they can't be ignored anymore.

·
Banned
438 Posts
First of all
I filed a maintenance request with the superindendent a few months ago
DAMN.

I know exactly what the problem is... but it won't help you if I tell you because you won't be able to fix it. Also, patching the roof will make it worse.

If you are just going to not fight for your rights, just put a bucket to catch the water.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
At first I thought you meant a metaphorical ceiling!! Anyhoo....make sure you document EVERY maintenance complaint - who you spoke with,their response,date,etc.- After a decent amount of time I'd find out what company owns the apartments and give them this info.- I'll bet they get it fixed very quickly.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I suggest that if you can afford it, you should move. Something is definitely wrong somewhere and if they won't even bother to fix it, you should take that as evidence that they'll probably let even more serious things slide as well. It sounds like they're just milking their tenants and will probably sell the property or something when all the problems get so bad they can't be ignored anymore.
:agree

The landlord seems awfully unconcerned. Not a good sign.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, guys. I'm going to tighten the screws as best I can on Friday. If nothing gets done, I'll call the propery owner.

Hiccups, those pictures are terrifying!

Re: moving: I really want to. The person I live with doesn't want to. We'll see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.