Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The social security recipients must received their money a week early this month. They are crowding the stores. I went in the grocery store up the street to get a pasty for lunch. They now have someone there that is making good pasties. Well I go to the express lane and there is a recipient getting checked out. I don't know why here they allow these people to use the express lane. It should be cash basis. Well he couldn't get his food stamp card to work because he forgot to hit enter. Then he pay out of pocket due to getting food from the deli so he took forever counting out the change. Thank good he didn't have to write a check because he would have to balance his checkbook right there. :lol Then he had to have a paper bag put inside a plastic one. What is the deal with that. I never seen that before. Another thing is the store only had 2 cashiers working while all these other workers are just standing around running their mouth. It is lunchtime for gods sake open up more lanes. :fall

·
Registered
22 Posts
I run into that issue all the time. I'm standing there with my two items and the individual in front of me has a huge cart and/or checks or coupons.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I'm not a fan of getting stuck behind the would-be novelist who simply must write a check. I use credit whenever possible and it's really about as fast as cash since most stores no longer bother to have you even sign for purchases under $25 (as if some teen clerk paid barely over minimum wage were a handwriting expert anyhow). And credit avoids them having to count out change.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I'm not a fan of getting stuck behind the would-be novelist who simply must write a check. I use credit whenever possible and it's really about as fast as cash since most stores no longer bother to have you even sign for purchases under $25 (as if some teen clerk paid barely over minimum wage were a handwriting expert anyhow). And credit avoids them having to count out change.
:lol I handled money for years when I worked in Vegas and it has always floored me when I see people that cannot count back change. Scary actually.

I despise being behind someone that writes a check. If I owned a business I wouldnt even accept checks; they are a dinosaur in today's world if you ask me. The ATM card and credit card are the fastest checkout. I would do cards and cash only. NO CHECKS!!!!!!!!!!!

I was at Safeway after work last week, anxious to get home and I had to stop to get some ingredients to cook for a potluck at work. To my dismay, the line was about 7 people long, as this was late on a Friday night, and only one checkstand open (no self check stands at Safeway). Sure enough, when I was finally "next" in line, another checker came up and asks to help the next person (technically me) and I couldnt help but say aloud, "Oh, yeah NOW they open another one." How more annoying could this be!!!!!!!!!!!

I also refuse to let anyone ahead of me at the Kroger that DOES have the self checkers when I am doing weekly shopping and someone gets behind me with one or two items. They CAN go to the self checkers; I cannot with a cartfull of items. Yes, this is probably petty of me but they arent hard to use, and there is a checker there to help anyone who needs it.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I welcome most days any opportunity to wait because I get overloaded with incoming thoughts some days and I am more able to organize them. Then I have my affirmations and what I am going to do and say, as well as prayers. I basically just don't put up a fight and quickly accept the reality of some people who hold up lines. I zone out pretty quickly and mentally have left instead of physically leaving or complain.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I welcome most days any opportunity to wait because I get overloaded with incoming thoughts some days and I am more able to organize them. Then I have my affirmations and what I am going to do and say, as well as prayers. I basically just don't put up a fight and quickly accept the reality of some people who hold up lines. I zone out pretty quickly and mentally have left instead of physically leaving or complain.
I hear what you are saying and that is healthy way to look at it. I have tried to do that and have had some success to a degree. But sometimes you are tired, having worked 10 hours on your feet and just want to get the hell outta there.... :lol

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
That is why I avoid stores unless I absolutely have to go to them.
Just today, in a crowded store where only half of the cashiers were working, I decided to be nice and let a nice older lady get in front of me since she only had a few items. I had a few items, too, but I thought I should just let her go ahead. So, it's her turn to get checked out and all of a sudden she screams, and yes I mean screams, out someone's name and here comes another lady (I'm guessing her daughter) with a cart filled to the brim with food and such. I felt like such an idiot and I had to wait behind them for three items.
And the worst thing... they didn't have all the money, but the older lady had a huge coin purse full of coins, and after counting out about 5 dollars worth, slowly, they finally moved on.
It's almost enough to stop me from being nice and letting people get in front of me.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I despise being behind someone that writes a check. If I owned a business I wouldnt even accept checks; they are a dinosaur in today's world if you ask me. The ATM card and credit card are the fastest checkout. I would do cards and cash only. NO CHECKS!!!!!!!!!!!
You know what's worse than that? The store where I work at has electronic checks, you give us a blank one and it fills it out for you and it saves a LOT of time. However, some still insist on writing everything out!

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is why I avoid stores unless I absolutely have to go to them.
Just today, in a crowded store where only half of the cashiers were working, I decided to be nice and let a nice older lady get in front of me since she only had a few items. I had a few items, too, but I thought I should just let her go ahead. So, it's her turn to get checked out and all of a sudden she screams, and yes I mean screams, out someone's name and here comes another lady (I'm guessing her daughter) with a cart filled to the brim with food and such. I felt like such an idiot and I had to wait behind them for three items.
And the worst thing... they didn't have all the money, but the older lady had a huge coin purse full of coins, and after counting out about 5 dollars worth, slowly, they finally moved on.
It's almost enough to stop me from being nice and letting people get in front of me.
That kind of reminds me of an episode of Married with Children when Al had to go to the store to buy batteries. This elderly lady carrying a basket with a couple cans of cat food in it asked him if he would let her ahead of him due to her 27 cats were waiting for this food. So he allows her to go ahead of him. She then grabs a cart connected to 4 other ones filled with cat food. The price rings up to over $800. So the lady had two water cooler bottles filled with pennies. She told the cashier every time her and hubbie made love they put a penny in the bottle. :lol

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
:lol That's cute. I'll remember that the next time I see an old lady paying with coppers.

(I've often wondered why they always seem to do that and if it's because they don't have much cash. In which case, it's a shame.)

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
You know what's worse than that? The store where I work at has electronic checks, you give us a blank one and it fills it out for you and it saves a LOT of time. However, some still insist on writing everything out!
is the usage of cheques really that prevalent? Doesn't anyone use, at least, debit?

I remember I used to work at a call center for an american business, and they had something called "cheque-by-phone" as a convenient way to pay. I was completely floored. I thought: "Is there no such thing as online banking in the US? It's 2005 for goodness sakes!" :stu

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is the usage of cheques really that prevalent? Doesn't anyone use, at least, debit?

I remember I used to work at a call center for an american business, and they had something called "cheque-by-phone" as a convenient way to pay. I was completely floored. I thought: "Is there no such thing as online banking in the US? It's 2005 for goodness sakes!" :stu
I don't have a debit card. I don't need it. I take enough cash out of the bank each week to cover gasoline, food, etc. I use checks to pay bills, and use credit card for major purchases or online purchases. I remember one time this new hire I would say was 18 didn't know what to do when I wrote a check for cash. An older teller had to tell her what to do. :lol I only used the phone check thing once. It was with Dell. I tried buying a computer on credit to build up my credit more, but they rejected me for some reason. They just told me I could do the check thing by phone. I had the money in the account so it wasn't any problem. I checked my credit report and there is no reason they should of denied me.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
How do you guys without checks pay your rent? Mine complex only accepted checks or money orders. My bank charged for money orders and it would have been a pain to have to go get one every month.

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
How do you guys without checks pay your rent? Mine complex only accepted checks or money orders. My bank charged for money orders and it would have been a pain to have to go get one every month.

Have a nice day,
I pay my mortgage online with the finance company. I used to pay my rent with checks. I still pay my phone bill and water bill by check. But I never use checks at the stores.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
Off topic but Kelly you're spending too much time in Germany. "mine complex" It's time to come home girl!

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
Off topic but Kelly you're spending too much time in Germany. "mine complex" It's time to come home girl!
:lol :lol :lol

I didn't even notice!!!

I have to give a half-hour long talk in German on June 16th, so I've been writing it in English and then translating it into German. I spent all day translating. That's my excuse. ;)

Have a nice day,

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Jesus, how many times have I gotten behind some idiot in line who ALWAYS has some kind of issue....not enough money, etc. I avoid stores period as much as possible, especially grocery. And there is always the person in front who JUST HAS to carry on a conversation with the cashier about boring stupid (%#$. These extroverts absolutely put me to sleep.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Long lines/waiting at the cashier don't annoy me so much, but I do hate trying to shop when it's so crowded in the store that everybody's in my way.

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jesus, how many times have I gotten behind some idiot in line who ALWAYS has some kind of issue....not enough money, etc. I avoid stores period as much as possible, especially grocery. And there is always the person in front who JUST HAS to carry on a conversation with the cashier about boring stupid (%#$. These extroverts absolutely put me to sleep.
One time in Walmart I had a stocker that worked their buying something when he got off work. He just stood their joking with the cashier. I was standing there waiting. I was sick as a dog that morning. I bought some cough medicine. I only had an hour sleep that night due to coughing my guts out. Cripes. Just pay for your stuff and get out of my way. I should of coughed on him. :lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts