Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Audacious romantic
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the feeling of your students driving you n*ts? I am tutoring English to my niece but she doesn't seem to have any special language gift, to put it mildly. I try to explain her the rules and provide the examples, give her the new words to learn and expand her vocabulary, offer her the texts to read, translate and ask her questions to discuss it. But she doesn't know even the most common words and she can't speak. Besides, her grammar is almost zero and the word order in a sentence she makes is a total mess. After an hour spent with her I am beginning to feel crazy since instead of sharpening my knowledge and skills I just degrade to stupidity. Have you ever had suchlike experience?

·
Swedish Feminist
3,286 Posts
If it's a one-on-one thing and the child (especially if it's a young child) still hasn't shown any significant improvement, the fault usually lies with the teacher.

ETA: Are you a teacher? With that kind of attitude you really should reconsider your career choice.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Children learn through mimic and repetition they might just be a slow learner if not I suggest getting evaluation for possible learning disabilities

·
Audacious romantic
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's a one-on-one thing and the child (especially if it's a young child) still hasn't shown any significant improvement, the fault usually lies with the teacher.

ETA: Are you a teacher? With that kind of attitude you really should reconsider your career choice.
You know, it's the easiest to blame everything on the teacher. First of all, she is not a child, she is a young woman, a student. She studies to be a nurse. Teaching is not my career choice. I am a translator by profession, currently jobless and catching a straw to find at least some work. Living in a small provincial town it is very hard to find a job, moreover that translating jobs are scarce in my country overall.

·
Registered
141 Posts
maybe you're starting at too high of a level with her? If her vocab is that bad, I;d suggest focusing on the very basics that she can grasp more quickly so she doesn't get discouraged.

·
Audacious romantic
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maybe you're starting at too high of a level with her? If her vocab is that bad, I;d suggest focusing on the very basics that she can grasp more quickly so she doesn't get discouraged.
You are right. That's what I need to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts