Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People post once in awhile about how going without sleep reduces their SA. I've found in the last two days, oddly, that having water in my ear has put a damper (ha) on my anxiety. I speak with a little more force and confidence, because I can't hear myself as easily. And when other people speak to me, it doesn't 'rattle' me as much because it's muffled when I hear it. Anyone else ever experience this?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Going without sleep certainly doesn't help me with SA. I would say that it increases my experience of SA if anything.

I haven't had my ears plugged in some time, so I'm not sure about that...

·
Registered
984 Posts
Going without sleep is a double sided edge, at first you start not caring so much about your SA but eventually you get so crazy tired things get a lot worse.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The problem with having clogged up ears is that I have to ask "What?" a lot, and I worry that I've misheard people or that they think I'm deaf. (I occasionally get swimmer's ear.)

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
My guess would be for the ear and sickness things is because we are distracted. You're concentrating on trying to hear and make sure that you're being heard, and when you're sick your focused on your body.

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
That's funny. I actually wear earplugs at times and it relaxes me. I think it's something to do with the sensory deprivation or maybe sense of isolation that calms me. But I'm just a weirdo. And of course, I can't try that when talking to other people.

·
ಠ ¿ ಠ
913 Posts
I've also noticed that going without sleep for prolonged periods of time lessens the symptoms and stress of my SA. However, going for that long without sleep also tends to negatively affect certain aspects of the mind, as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wellllll, I've found that not wearing my glasses decreases my anxiety. I don't worry about people looking at me or walking past people because I can't see their faces clearly. I just focus on the ground and walk straight ahead.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The no sleep thing multiplies my anxiety by 10. As for earplugs or water in the ears, I have not ever experienced relief from that. One thing that does if am mildly sick, like a cold. I feel much more relaxed. Maybe its from the cold medicine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts