Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about this the last couple of days, mainly because I'm struggling to find out what it is I would like to do with my life, and subsequently how a lot of my problems stem from the fact that I suffer from SA. The main idea was starting a company entirely staffed by people with SA. Of course, this sounds totally ridiculous given the nature of SA, but just think of it for thought's sake. After coming up with this idea, I went a step further and started wondering what it would be like living in a community of people with SA.

For instance, could you imagine going from being completely alone in the world to being surrounded by people who understand exactly where you're coming from? Do you think it would ease some of stress in our lives if we were able to work and live together? Perhaps a community composed of people with social anxiety? If our anxiety is the result of the insecurities regarding others' perceptions of ourselves, could it not be eliminated or at least alleviated by being surrounded by people who know exactly what that feels like?

Oh, how I wish for some enterprising soul with SA to make something like this a reality. What do you think?

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
It sounds wonderful! Many people on this site are so obviously astute and when they're good at something-they're highly focused. So many of us don't get the chances we deserve because we don't "shine and sparkle". If around others like ourselves our very best selves would have a chance to flourish.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I suspect that community might look like a ghost town, with everyone too afraid to come on out. Earlier this year a member in Wisconsin came up with the idea of wanting to do an SAS meeting in either Madison or Milwaukee or somewhere in the 75 miles between.

She gave up, since trying to find people willing to actually come was an almost impossible task. Not surprising, since this seems to be how SAS gatherings go. The one I went to in Milwaukee three years ago only attracted 5 people (if I count myself). I remember years ago there was a Boston gathering that also attracted only 5 -- and it's not like Boston is some small town.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I suspect that community might look like a ghost town, with everyone too afraid to come on out.
This

On the other hand, being in a deserted place encourages me to go out more, I'm not afraid of the outdoors, just when theres lots of people around.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
Everyone would be housebound.

·
(.*?)
6,703 Posts
It'd be much harder than living in a regular community, because there'd be people trying to bring me out of my shell, trying to get me to come do therapy, or do whatever else is on their personal agenda. Just walking down the street there'd be a risk of people practicing their social skills on you. Regular communities, on the other hand, can be pretty antisocial most of the time (unless you're rural, where people tend to get too friendly).

Just because people have SA doesn't mean they understand each other. There are so many different types of social anxiety. We all have unique circumstances and issues and goals. Sharing one vague deficiency doesn't help much.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Oh geez-you guys make me feel sad!- I'd be there with bells on - I WANT PEOPLE!!!!

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Does this SA utopia come with a cosmetic surgery doc? Underwritten? If so, mark me down.

While this does sound lovely, I think it would only be a matter of time until you got a reflection of the society that already exists. just on a smaller scale.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I've thought about this quite often. It would be nice to have a community just of SA-sufferers, and ideally we'd all understand each other and so not feel so anxious, knowing that we aren't going to be judged, and we'd all get on famously; the reality is more likely that most of us would just hide from each other, and we'd all make ourselves even more socially anxious. If it could be like the first scenario, it would be an absolutely wonderful place to live.

·
stillborn
1,764 Posts
I'd totally live in a city populated by people with SA. You'd never have to worry about public speaking.

·
Space Cadet
2,458 Posts
I was thinking that this would be the perfect solution for people with SA. We wouldn't have to be alone, but everyone would understand that we do need some time to ourselves.

I would totally live in an SA community, as long as I could find a job.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Its interesting but too unrealistic. I've heard about deaf communities though.

When I was living in the dorms at my university I used to wonder what a house shared by people with SA would be like though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That sounds like something that would go well. B/c there are a lot of things i wouldn't say to someone who doesnt have SA, just because they think im a scitzo and anxious all the time, but living around people like myself, i would feel like i dont have to seclude myself and i could possiblely become more outgoing. People w/o SA dont understand the way we think and that it is different and i believe thats why we hide because we feel alone, but in this commuinity we would be understanding of everyone and would encourage interactions.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
At the city limits there would be a sign that says: "Population ?" Since nobody answers the door when census workers tried to count citizens.:lol

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I don't think it would be the healthiest environment to be honest.

And then there would be divisions within the community. Poeple with less severe SA would form groups, and leave out the one's with more severe SA. The one's with more severe SA would get even more depressed thinking they can't even fit in amongst there own.
:yes :(

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
I don't think it would be the healthiest environment to be honest.

And then there would be divisions within the community. Poeple with less severe SA would form groups, and leave out the one's with more severe SA. The one's with more severe SA would get even more depressed thinking they can't even fit in amongst there own.
I couldn't agree any more.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts