Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to find different bands to check out to have more variety in my music listening. Usually I'll just listen to the same ones over and over, which is fine, they are my favorite, but I've been wanting more lately. To give you an idea of what music I like here are my favorite bands and the albums I like best:

#1 all time favorite is Black Sabbath (all of the Ozzy albums really, but specifically Paranoid, Vol 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage).

Metallica (Ride the Lightning through And Justice for All, S&M)
Ozzy by himself (Diary, Blizzard)
Led Zeppelin (I-IV)
GNR (Appetite through Illusion)
Pink Floyd (Dark Side, Crazy Diamond, Wall)
Hendrix, Doors, Tool, UFO, some Queen (harder stuff)

As you can probably tell, most of the music I listen to is from the very late 60's through the 70's (which imo was the best decade for rock/metal). I'll gladly take recommendations of more older groups, but I've been trying to find newer music that has that type of 70's quality to it. I checked out Dream Theater due to seeing them mentioned here, liked a lot of the songs that I checked out and I never even heard of them before. So I would love any suggestions.

·
Banned
4,462 Posts
Blind guardian(highly recommend)
Iced earth (get their older stuff) Alive in athens perhaps
Demons & wizards(lame name, but an excellent band....highly recommend)
wrathchild america
running wild
pain of salvation
Iron maiden
Goat horn (highly recommend)
Dio
Angel dust - of human bondage (highly recomment this album)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Deep Purple
Blue Oyster Cult (early albums)
Rainbow
Exodus
Testament
Mastodon
High on Fire
Rush (ca. "Moving Pictures")
Budgie (a real Sabbathy sludge band they were)
Soundgarden
Sleep (obscure band, I guess, but "Holy Mountain" is very Sabbath-like)

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
I'm a big AC/DC fan. Back in Black has to be one of the top releases of the 80's and was Brian Johnson's debut with the group. They didn't have as many good alblums after that except for the Razor's Edge. Pre '79 AC/DC releases with Bon Scott on vocals are good also, such as Highway to Hell, If You Want Blood, Dirty Deeds, ect...I own every release from '80 on but I'm still missing a few of the older 70's releases.

·
Registered
815 Posts
All good bands on this board, I like Mars Volta but they're not really like all that classic rock though, eh?

As for metal: Mayhem, Burzum, Bathory, Moonspell (very good!), Dismember, Iced Earth, Celtic Frost, Savatage, Mastodon (personal favorite), Meshuggah, Startovarious (love this band!), Megadeath, some Yngie Malnsteen, Dream Theatre (extremely and amazingly technically accomplished but a bit show-offy), as metioned before Blind Gaurdian (highly recommend), Satyricon.

Oh yes, Dio has been mentioned but this sounds like a band you'd like compared to your other ones (you have great taste in music!) Hooollly diivveer :b

Go here and listen to this station to sample random tracks from artists, this is a station I'm currently experimenting with:
http://launch.yahoo.com/launchcast/stat ... 1831504304

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think you definately need to check out Opeth.. seeing that my music taste was almost the exact same as yours when I got into them a few years ago (now Opeth is my fave band). They incorporate the 60s/70s influences much better than Dream Theater does IMO :)

Check out/download the "Still Life" album if you can...

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
If you are looking for a "60s/70s" vibe but from a newer, band, check out Comets on Fire. Their Blue Cathedral album got some good reviews, and I guess it's described as "freakout" by some of them. It definately takes you back to the time when effects were still a new thing and they used them to their fullest. The song "Blue Tomb" defines them a lot

·
Registered
184 Posts
NewWorldOrder said:
rolo said:
They incorporate the 60s/70s influences much better than Dream Theater does IMO :)
I agree...

As a side-note, I can't stand Dream Theatre anymore after seeing them live :fall
Is that because they were so good live that you don't think their studio albums match up, or you thought they were so bad it killed your interest in them? :lol

Personally, I thought they were amazing when I saw them.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Wart said:
NewWorldOrder said:
rolo said:
They incorporate the 60s/70s influences much better than Dream Theater does IMO :)
I agree...

As a side-note, I can't stand Dream Theatre anymore after seeing them live :fall
Is that because they were so good live that you don't think their studio albums match up, or you thought they were so bad it killed your interest in them? :lol

Personally, I thought they were amazing when I saw them.
Heh, it was the latter. I just don't like how they put their music together (odd-time breakdowns followed by intense tech-shredding?????), and I don't really like the show-off-y-ness either. Also the singer would go back-stage for like 10 minutes at a time... Me and the friend that came with me had a joke that he was back there having some fun with the band's groupies

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the replies! Got a chance to sample some of them over the weekend:

Mastodon: I'm not really into death metal, with the screaming instead of singing.

Blind Guardian: I like the music, but I don't like the singer's voice. This is my biggest problem, I'm extremely picky with vocals. It could be the greatest music ever produced, but if I don't like the voice or the way the person sings, I just can't get over that and just focus on the music.

Iced Earth: Kind of like Blind Guardian, but I like the vocals. I'll be checking out more of their stuff.

Opeth: I've never quite heard of a band like this, with a completely split personality. It's very odd. I love the music, it's great. The guy has a great voice too. If he sang "normally" in every song I would probably be an instant fan. But half the songs he's growling. I'll definately be checking out more from them though and will be keeping the non-growling songs.

Avenged Sevenfold: Pretty good, only listened to two songs, but will try to find more.

Comets On Fire: Very 60's psychedelic rock type music, which I like, but the constant heavy reverb on the vocals drove me nuts.

Sleep: I could only find one song by them, but they are Sabbath-like.

Anybody know if a 'hard-blues' type of genre exists? Cause I think one of the reasons I like Black Sabbath so much is the blues influence, you can hear the blues and rock mixing in a lot of their songs. But I can't listen to regular blues, too slow.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.