Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im pretty sure I am autistic as I really do struggle in social situations and I find it really difficult to make friends. I have a little problem with eye contact too. I've always known Im different and people have said I look like I have something wrong with me. People tend to talk to me like im a child as well.

Anyway, im seriously thinking of going to my gp about this but im not sure how to explain it to him. Shall I just tell him everything i've just said above?

Im in need of some support for this because im almost sure that I have autism.

If there is anybody here who could give me some help/support on this then i'd be really grateful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In my experience, a lot of my social phobic traits cross over with autism. The best thing you can do is visit your GP and say to them, however bluntly, 'I think I might be autistic.' You may be scared that they'll scorn you for self diagnosing, but when you think about it, that's how every problem gets taken to a doctor. 'I think I have a cold' is still self diagnosis.

Just go, and good luck!
Cookie

·
Chlorine and Wine
12,105 Posts
It's worth trying to talk to them about it, I think. Even though some professionals are total idiots and don't listen at all or think.

Did you have any childhood symptoms, social regression, odd speech, self-stimulatory behaviors?

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my experience, a lot of my social phobic traits cross over with autism. The best thing you can do is visit your GP and say to them, however bluntly, 'I think I might be autistic.' You may be scared that they'll scorn you for self diagnosing, but when you think about it, that's how every problem gets taken to a doctor. 'I think I have a cold' is still self diagnosis.

Just go, and good luck!
Cookie
what do you mean when you say they cross over?

It's worth trying to talk to them about it, I think. Even though some professionals are total idiots and don't listen at all or think.

Did you have any childhood symptoms, social regression, odd speech, self-stimulatory behaviors?
I cant really remember but I was really shy and never really fitted in well

I have had odd speech problems all my life. Been told I sound slow and retarded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts