Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many of our typical problems are somewhat similar to mild autism or autism disorders like Asperger's. Difficulty with eye contact,social situations,relating to others feelings,blank or angry facial expressions,etc.etc. Not to imply that everyone with SA has autism - but I wonder if it's so with many of us.

·
Space Cadet
2,458 Posts
So many of our typical problems are somewhat similar to mild autism or autism disorders like Asperger's. Difficulty with eye contact,social situations,relating to others feelings,blank or angry facial expressions,etc.etc. Not to imply that everyone with SA has autism - but I wonder if it's so with many of us.
For the longest time I thought that I had Aspergers, because my brother has autism.

I thought that it was too much of a connection to be coincidence. Indeed, perhaps it isn't a coincidence.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I think most mental disorders are linked. Social anxiety, depression, bi-polar, obsessive-compulsive disorder, etc. are known to be linked. It would not surprise me to find autism related to these disorders as well.

·
Registered
336 Posts
People with autism can have SA, but not necessarily the other way round. Autism is not just about social functioning but is one of the diagnostic criteria.

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
I wouldn't say they are linked at all. There's alot more to Asperger's Syndrome than social behaviour characteristics (OCD-like behaviours, for example), and while some of our behaviours may outwardly appear similar to those of AS, what's going on in our heads is totally different. SA behaviours are rooted in anxiety, but when the anxiety is removed (most of my anxiety goes away when I'm with certain friends, for example) many of us are capable of normal social function. On the other hand, people with AS don't understand the purpose of things like eye contact and putting emphasis into their speech, and they aren't really capable of normal social function regardless of anxiety levels.

I've had lots of friends with AS and I've known a handful of people besides myself with SA, so I'd say I have enough experience to back this up.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I don't think so. I think it's all a misdiagnoses. Just because the symptoms are similar does not mean the chemicals in the brain or the "wiring" are similar. The cause is entirely different in my opinion. I've been diagnosed autistic and yet everyone I know who has actually dealt with autistic people says absolutely not. Lack of eye contact and social skills does not equal autism. It means you lack social skills and have trouble making eye contact. :p Nothing else except that the reasons for it can be many.

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
Autism develops at a very early age, SA mostly develops in the teens when everyone becomes more cognizant of how they appear and behave in front of peers.

In SA, anxiety causes avoidance and symptoms that mimic autism. In autism, lack of eye contact and social engagement seem to be not the result of anxiety but rather some inborn abnormal wiring in the brain. These symptoms may lead to anxiety due to negative reactions from outsiders.

Ofcourse, I could be completely bsing here. I am not an expert of child psych. issues.

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
I suspect if there is a connection, it's that autistic people often develop SA as a result of the circumstances autism creates. I don't think SA is actually related to autism in any real way though as autism is usually regarded as a neurological problem with physical causes, while SA usually isn't (unless you buy into that "LOL everyone with anxiety or depression MUST have a lack of serotonin and the only way to fix it is with SSRIs or MAOIs" crap).

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I think that in general their are things about social anxiety that are similar to other disorders or just...being human really!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts