Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Awesome.
884 Posts
They're trained to help you, and they want to help. They're able to talk to you more honestly than anyone in your life because there's no relationship that could be harmed by being truthful. They're also able to be more objective than anyone in your life because they're removed from the situation. They stop being complete strangers when you start talking to them.

·
Banned
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're trained to help you, and they want to help. They're able to talk to you more honestly than anyone in your life because there's no relationship that could be harmed by being truthful. They're also able to be more objective than anyone in your life because they're removed from the situation. They stop being complete strangers when you start talking to them.
How do you know they genuinely want to help? Ted Bundy (serial killer) was a suicide preventionist & look at what he turned out to be...

·
Awesome.
884 Posts
How do you know they genuinely want to help? Ted Bundy (serial killer) was a suicide preventionist & look at what he turned out to be...
Ok, that's a really obscure example. Here's the thing - assume they don't genuinely want to help. Everything else I said is still true.

Not to mention that they're bound by laws, just like other professionals are. If a therapist intentionally or even knowingly does things to harm you, it's likely that you could take legal action against that person.

·
Done with everyone
1,039 Posts
I feel less judgement talking to someone about my problems. Like what's been said, they don't have preconceptions about you like family that could create bias in their opinions. I'm more afraid to talk to family because of how well they know me and bringing up these problems is scary since they may treat me differently or change ther views on me.

If I talk with someone that doesn't know me that well but is trained to handle and discuss these issues, there is just less fear of biased judgement.

·
Done with everyone
1,039 Posts
Yeah but they spend most of their time blaming you for your problems.
That's quite a generalization. If my therapist was doing that, I wouldn't still be his patient one year later. I go because I enjoy talking with him, one of the few things I look forward to these days.

I've had a bad therapist that blamed me for junk and I never saw her again after that first session. Don't let one therapist with a bad approach disqualify all of the good ones. At my university I had a great therapist and counselor. Good ones exist, ghost, just don't give up okay?

·
Done with everyone
1,039 Posts
Were you really asking the original question to get honest answers, or were you just looking to argue?
From the delay in response, I'm just going to say, "DING DING DING!"

·
Banned
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Were you really asking the original question to get honest answers, or were you just looking to argue?
No, I'm just saying it gets me down when they blame me for my problems. So if I were to see a therapist I'd like them to be disfigured or something so that they can relate to my pain.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
No, I'm just saying it gets me down when they blame me for my problems. So if I were to see a therapist I'd like them to be disfigured or something so that they can relate to my pain.
But the reality is we really are the cause of our own problems, you have to at least take responsibility to fix your problems. The trick is finding a therapist who is going to gently lead you towards being self confident enough to fix your problems while being empowering to you and not judgmental.

You have to communicate with your therapist, before you even start sessions tell them this is a great fear of yours and that they have to be understanding see how they react and get a "feel"

A therapist helps because they are trained and have had many years of schooling and experience but they are still people if you don't like one change them. You can't just discount therapy because it might fail.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
They don't cure you yes but they're supposed to make you feel better and thus, overcome your problem. they can be more objective in giving opinions, too.

·
Banned
116 Posts
My therapist gave me new insights in my problems. Things I was never aware off. Just by asking me questions in a certain ways. I ask myself similar questions when I don't understand my fear in some situations. It really helps :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
If talking to your family is out, if 'real life' friends aren't there for you or you don't have many, you feel you need to talk / help / understanding and everything said to the therapist is confidential and professional, then seems a wise choice.
But you'd have to accept their aim to help you.

·
Banned
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My problem isn't really that much of a mental health issue. It's appearance issues, I was born with a head deformity & my face is nothing to be desired either, you know those disabled people who look different, those who may be in wheelchairs, etc, well I kinda belong in that social group.

But unlike them I'm 100% socially aware of my surroundings, sorry if this offends, but unlike them I'm smart enough to be hurt when people say mean things about me.

That's me.

I get tormented a lot.

So I don't think a therapist is for me.

I am a disabled person practically, I look disabled & I'm on disability living allowance. But I'm not severely mentally handicapped.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts