Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last semester my life was a mess. I wasn't myself. I wasn't able to feel confident around people and I just wasn't being myself. I initially thought it was because I was friend-zoned by a girl I really liked. But, I had tremendous amounts of acne last semester and it made me feel bad.

My acne wasn't even that much. But, I just had a number of cysts all over my face and it was really bad. Every time my face got better I got a new cyst. It has nothing to do with the fact that I'm getting older but I feel like that since my acne is going away that it's much easier to be myself around other people and I can finally take my life back.

I know I made this topic before but I know that I had deeper roots of social anxiety earlier from bad past experiences, but, I've since gotten over them. But, I really wonder how much my acne contributed to it.

I was really spending almost all my time in the mirror last semester until the winter. It was awful. That is not enjoyable at all. I felt horribly embarrassed and was surprised people accepted me at all.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That could be it. I know my social anxiety was due to acne.

I felt that when I talk to people they just stare around my face. From experience, acne going away does help you get your life back.

It's nice to have people who accept you for who you are, not what you look like, keep those people.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am also wondering why I am so self conscious and have anxiety issues. I have always had acne, as a teen and now I'm 28 and still have it just as bad. I will have to use benzol peroxide for the rest of my life I think. And on top of that I am very skinny, after 20 years I still have people commenting on how skinny I am. I can't tell you how frustrating that is.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That could be it. I know my social anxiety was due to acne.

I felt that when I talk to people they just stare around my face. From experience, acne going away does help you get your life back.

It's nice to have people who accept you for who you are, not what you look like, keep those people.
I should note that I'm a guy... so, females reading this should keep in mind that acne can affect guys just as much if not more so than it affects girls. There are a number of people in general that I used to be afraid of talking to because of my acne that I feel more comfortable talking to again.

And yes, no I've definitely kept those people that accepted me before.Luckily, I only had really bad acne for one summer and a semester. So, but it's went away again. My close friends that I was hanging out when I had acne are just as cool as I remember them, and, now that I'm not as distracted by acne, I feel like it's much easier to just not be embarrassed.

I'm also able to enjoy my time by myself a lot more and enjoy leisure activities and not always do things like look in the mirror... which wasted a whole hell of a lot of my time last semester. It's like I'm taking my life back from acne one step at a time.

I also feel like I can actually start also going after girls again. There was a time when my acne was just so awful I would not even think anyone would want to give me a chance. People told me I looked fine but I never believed them. I'm lucky I only had the problem for one semester. I still get some acne every now and then, and, I almost had a major breakout earlier... but, I'm in a much better place now and it really has helped me out a lot.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am also wondering why I am so self conscious and have anxiety issues. I have always had acne, as a teen and now I'm 28 and still have it just as bad. I will have to use benzol peroxide for the rest of my life I think. And on top of that I am very skinny, after 20 years I still have people commenting on how skinny I am. I can't tell you how frustrating that is.
I don't know how you put up with it. I've had bad acne for half of the year and I don't think I could ever go through that again. I don't know how you could put up with it for your whole life. You must be brave and really strong.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't know how you put up with it. I've had bad acne for half of the year and I don't think I could ever go through that again. I don't know how you could put up with it for your whole life. You must be brave and really strong.
I don't consider myself brave and strong at all, lol. If I was I probably wouldn't have depression or anxiety issues. I use face cream all the time which makes it go away but recently I have not been using it and the acne is coming back. I don't know if it's from stress or what.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think if you go around year after year and you just live with acne and you accept the way you look even if you think you look ugly you have to be strong. If you can keep your head held high it's a good thing.

I know I'm going to run into some road blocks every now and then because acne made me super uncomfortable last semester, but, I am going to try to make some progress and get back my life. I am already living the life of leisure which I so severely missed last semester.

I had friends and I still have them before. But, I was so, so, so distraught over how I looked that it prevented me from actually enjoying leisure activities, or, doing actual research, or anything interesting. I'm just glad that I don't have to put up with that same sort of crap anymore.

I had one really bad pimple in the start of the semester but that was it, it's gone now, and, I am feeling better. So, yeah. It really does seem to have lifted a lot of stress off of me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts