Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...but there are no dangerous interactions between Zoloft, Wellbutrin, and Xanax (Xanax being taken VERY infrequently, at that... in the past two months, I've used a total of 5.5 mg of Xanax, that's less than Ultrashy uses in a day!), right?

My pdoc REFUSES to prescribe me Wellbutrin to counteract the fatigue and sexual side effects I've been experiencing, because "We're mixing too many drugs," despite the fact that I only use Zoloft every day and Xanax once or twice a week, tops.

Is he right? Afaik, there are no interactions between these drugs (unless if I were experiencing withdrawal from Xanax and Wellbutrin could lower the seizure threshold into dangerous territory, which is NOT the case at all).

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
It sounds like your doctor wants to avoid prescribing anything that isn't absolutely necessary. However, Wellbutrin isn't a controlled substance and doesn't have any interactions with your other meds, so your doc sounds sorta douchey. I asked my previous psychiatrist about getting on Wellbutrin to help fight the fatigue and lethargy that Thorazine was causing, but he refused because he's incompetent. I would love to get on Wellbutrin now just for its appetite suppressant effects (I seriously need to lose weight!), but I don't know if a psychiatrist would be into that. Anyway, I'm not sure what you could do to change your doctor's mind - two daily meds and one as-needed med are not uncommon at all, yet your doctor seems to think it's unwarranted. Punch him in the face? I dunno.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh. So he is a tool. It's not even like the Zoloft is working. My idea was to use Wellbutrin to counter the side effects, and then bump up the dose of Zoloft so it might actually WORK. I'm currently paying 50 dollars a month for a med that isn't even working. What a pain.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Yeah, you can mix all of them safely. A doctor who doesn't want to prescribe a cocktail containing every non-controlled drug under the sun? How unusual. From the insanely exotic & complex (and obscenely expensive) cocktails I've read about on this board, I get the impression that some doctors think too much can never be enough.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
My idea was to use Wellbutrin to counter the side effects, and then bump up the dose of Zoloft so it might actually WORK. I'm currently paying 50 dollars a month for a med that isn't even working. What a pain.
What is your current dose? Max recommended is 200 mg, though I've tried 300 mg.

As for the $50 a month you pay, what size pills are you getting? Many drugs cost the same or virtually the same regardless of dose, so those who don't need the largest dosage size (100 mg in the case of Zoloft) can save with pill splitting.

I'm PM you with a link to a low cost pharmacy that might be able to beat your price. Somebody else recently complained about the $100 they paid for Zoloft and I found them a place that charges about half as much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts