Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This experience is from this summer, but I'm just wondering if anyone had any advice about it.
I worked at the zoo this summer, and one time, this lady came up to our concession stand to complain. She had an issue with the fact that some other women were taking boys that she thought were too old into the ladies' restroom with them. She was upset about it and wanted the zoo to prevent it from happening. She first told my coworker, but was frustrated because he tried to say something (didn't even get the first few words of the sentence and she just said, "No, don't talk to me like that." Then she turned to me saying, "You're a girl, you'll understand" and told me the thing over. I was listening very intently to her concerns and trying to figure out what to do. Then she said to me, "Do you even understand me? You're just staring at me blankly!" I DID understand her, I just didn't know how my face was supposed to look.

So, does anyone know what your face is SUPPOSED to look like when a customer is angrily complaining to you? I didn't think having a huge grin on my face would've been appropriate...

·
electric
6,777 Posts
Maybe you were a little surprised by her anger and wanted to respond to it. I mean, if someone is angry, it can kind of take you aback a little. You want to help and don't know what to do and a blank expression goes with that. I think people when they are angry have some expectation of people being angry alongside them and not so much responding to the fact that they're angry, so anything on your part that wasn't sympathetic to her anger would have been to her like you just didn't understand or weren't listening. It's not your fault. You didn't do anything wrong.

·
Banned
3,564 Posts
You didn't do anything wrong here. She was just acting hysterical over something that really doesn't even concern her (she sounds a little off to me :um lol). I don't think there's a "right" facial expression to respond to anything. Body language is different I suppose, but "facial expression"? I don't think so. As long as you don't look like this staring blankly: :troll you should be fine lol

·
FAKE
1,117 Posts
well, she sounds like a jerk but when i was doing customer service awhile back and someone seemed angry i would try to mirror the concern i see in their face before telling them, "ok let me get the manager" haha... i sure sucked at that job

·
Banned
12,909 Posts
She's just stupid. Forget about it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I thought she was being a bit over the top too. After she talked a bit more, our supervisor came up and talked to her. She told her she would try to solve the problem and she left.
I'm mostly asking because I'm applying for jobs right now at a bunch of fast food places and Wal-Mart, and I'll be likely to run into another angry customer. I want to be sure I can respond appropriately to them.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
This experience is from this summer, but I'm just wondering if anyone had any advice about it.
I worked at the zoo this summer, and one time, this lady came up to our concession stand to complain. She had an issue with the fact that some other women were taking boys that she thought were too old into the ladies' restroom with them. She was upset about it and wanted the zoo to prevent it from happening. She first told my coworker, but was frustrated because he tried to say something (didn't even get the first few words of the sentence and she just said, "No, don't talk to me like that." Then she turned to me saying, "You're a girl, you'll understand" and told me the thing over. I was listening very intently to her concerns and trying to figure out what to do. Then she said to me, "Do you even understand me? You're just staring at me blankly!" I DID understand her, I just didn't know how my face was supposed to look.

So, does anyone know what your face is SUPPOSED to look like when a customer is angrily complaining to you? I didn't think having a huge grin on my face would've been appropriate...
It probably should be blank with a customer like that, depending on how you feel. This lady sounded like she was out of control, so don't be critical of yourself based on her. I would have gotten mad back at this lady and told her to calm down. "calm down ma'am or I will have to ask you to leave" that would have made her so mad haha

·
Registered
32 Posts
She was acting absurd. Having a complaint is fine but she should still be rational about it. I WOULD have smirked at her to purposefully piss her off, because she sounds like a jerk.

The blank face though normally is the best response I think, maybe slightly furrowed brows to look like you're concentrating. She would have responded badly to anything you did though it sounds like.

·
Registered
355 Posts
don't blame yourself... you are not responsible for how other people react. You were sympathetic to a problem that really was a stupid issue. Most people wouldn't have even done that. She was expecting someone to bend over backwards for her and when no one did she got frustrated. It wasn't about you.

I would have gotten mad back at this lady and told her to calm down. "calm down ma'am or I will have to ask you to leave" that would have made her so mad haha
:lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts