Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
The Shy Guy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just got out of court today & have been running strong on a case that has been going on since 08, but it had came to a stop on this day as my lawyer informed me that going to trial was 50-50 & if I lost, I would have a felony which we all know is never good when landing a job. I took a No Contest plea & had requested to start serving my time on the 18th of this month. Being someone with pretty bad SA, I am very well relieved I do not have to go to court again infront of everyone just looking at me, oh how I hate that... But my issue here folks is that I have to serve 40 days behind bars which, I know, Isn't that much... But for someone such as myself who suffers from SA, but doesn't want ANYONE to know, this seems like a challenge to me. I am sure their will be those induviduals who get their kicks by messing with people, but all I know is to just keep to myself, as I plan on doing & perhaps occupy my time with a few books. The jail does have a gym from what I am hearing, but that is pretty much it. So the 18th is the big day & to a point I look forward to it, as this is one step ahead to getting my life back. But what do you think? What would you do in my situation if you were going or have been behind bars with a severe SA disorder?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Have you told your lawyer you have SA? If not, then you should, then the court can take this into consideration.

·
The Shy Guy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is pretty much a done deal within the courts. I tend to not let anyone know about my SA. My lawyer was pretty much useless throughout this & now that I have made a final plea, he is pretty much done with me. But I would rather be within a decently populated block rather than in Protective Custody anyday. I haven't been able to eat until after I got out of the courthouse. I plan on sleeping my time away, & if I can't sleep, their's always books.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
40 days is not a short time if you're the one who has to go to prison.

Minimum security, you should be fine. Just keep yourself amused with books or perhaps try to dig yourself out with a spoon. Or maybe stick to books.

If I were in your situation, I'd be planning on keeping to myself.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I think keeping to yourself would be the worst mistake possible. Well, if you do keep to yourself, I'd try and look like the tough, silent, loner type.

Looking shy, vulnerable and outcasting yourself in prison would probably lead to bullying and worse I think. Not that I've been in there.

·
The Shy Guy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well this is just a simple jail I am going to, not as bad as prison, though I do wish that I got the benefits that prisoners get (This being they can have their own Xbox360 & TV with cable in their own rooms) But I have a relative who has been there more than enough times & his advice was not to try to be a big shot, but just to do my own thing. I don't worry about too much, other than I wont have any privacy going to the bathroom & taking showers but im just hoping that I get a decent room mate & not someone who thinks they run the place. Though im still feeling a little ackward about the first day I do go in... Im mainly feeling weird about when lunch time comes around. Kind of reminds me of moving to a new town & it's your first day at school & you don't know anyone, except in this case the classmates are convicted felons. Im just hoping whover I get celled with is halfway decent & atleast make small talk enough so i can feel comfortable kinda knowing someone there enough to not be sitting alone. But im hoping after a week that I'll know the schedule & a majority of my anxiety will go away.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Ah OK, doesn't sound too bad then. Well, not too good either lol, but we only have prison here. You'll probably be sharing a cell with a nice kid who got caught with a bag of weed or something... so don't stress.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would be embarrassed about having to go to the bathroom in front of your roommate also, you should go see a doctor and try to get prescribed klonopin, tell them you want to try it for SAS because if you have a script and take it with you when you go in I think they will have to continue giving it to you which would make your time go a lot faster....Good Luck..

·
Just me being me
1,124 Posts
you should go see a doctor and try to get prescribed klonopin..
As I was racking my brain trying to think of some good advice, the above sounds like the most sensible thing to do under the circumstances. Jail is stressful enough but add SA to it and it might not be a bad idea to see if you can get a prescript. If you have a gp and explain the circumstances to them they might be able to get you something without a lot of redtape and hoop jumping.

Other than that have you ever tried any type of meditation? Journaling is a good idea to help time pass also and do a little reflection on your life and where you'd like to go from here when all this is over.

Make sure somebody's gonna put some money in your account so you will have access to paper, pencil, toiletries, etc.

Good Luck...just go with the flow until you come out on the otherside.

·
The Shy Guy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
have you ever tried any type of meditation?
I have considered it, but never actually did anything about it. I personally have no clue to go about doing so, & I only have 5 days left before I have to go in. Don't you have to make an appointment of some sort? If so, im sure they would schedule it within a months time which I don't have. Though when I do get out, I may possibly look into it just too see how it plays out & whatnot. As for Journaling, I waas thinking of making a Day 1 diary all the way up to my release, though I'll make it silly & funny so I can atleast get some humor while im in there. I already gave a relative money to put in my account when I get in, so no worries on that. It sure is going to be diffrent though... I spend my life around electronics, especially here, online, on my laptop... Being able to pull away from everything I do for over a month??? I am sure I can do it, but it's going to be diffrent to say the least. But as soon as I do get out, I will bring this forum back up to talk about the experience.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have considered it, but never actually did anything about it. I personally have no clue to go about doing so, & I only have 5 days left before I have to go in. Don't you have to make an appointment of some sort? If so, im sure they would schedule it within a months time which I don't have. Though when I do get out, I may possibly look into it just too see how it plays out & whatnot. As for Journaling, I waas thinking of making a Day 1 diary all the way up to my release, though I'll make it silly & funny so I can atleast get some humor while im in there. I already gave a relative money to put in my account when I get in, so no worries on that. It sure is going to be diffrent though... I spend my life around electronics, especially here, online, on my laptop... Being able to pull away from everything I do for over a month??? I am sure I can do it, but it's going to be diffrent to say the least. But as soon as I do get out, I will bring this forum back up to talk about the experience.
That sounds horrifying, I would have the urged to get so depressed my first few days in jail, just remember you're not in there for that long (relatively) so you can use it as a growing opportunity (especially now you can learn how to live without electronics i guess :p ), and DON'T be a slave to your emotions.

If I went to jail, my mind would spew out all these sad thoughts, if it happens to you, recognize that your thoughts are going to be colored sad and won't necessarily logical. Try to be mindful, meditation helps once again, why can't it work for you though?

Meditation is just sitting (preferably), in a somewhat quiet place, closing your eyes, and just observe your thoughts. See your thoughts come and go, but don't follow them. Observe the world around you. I sometimes do this when I'm just living my life, creating a schism between "me" (my mind and body), and my awareness, this allows me complete control on my mind and body, when I see it as my tool.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I hope this doesn't make it worse but it reminded me of this video. I seen the whole thing and the quiet kid didn't do so well. My advice from watching this is not to stick out from the rest and show weakness, then again this prison was particularly bad.

·
Banned
7,511 Posts
Jail isn't that bad compared to prison.

People in jail are used to others with all kind of mental conditions. Relax and you'll fit in fine.

·
Neurotic megalomaniac
195 Posts
I'd imagine my anxiety would be better than a normal environment in prison since all the people I'm with are on the same level - no height to judge from. Maybe you can see it as something positive in the long-term - when you're out you might be able to deal with others a little better, like something transitional from the exposure. And like you say, the routine will probably help to make your mind more stable.

It'd probably be a different story if it was prison though. In jail you're going to find fairly normal people.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i think i d love jail to cure my SA

·
Registered
82 Posts
don't let anyone push you around. even in county jail it's not as rough as prison, but there are still people there who "run" the tanks.

Don't be afraid to fight, even if you get your *** kicked. Because all they want to know is if you will let them punk you. They want to test you to "see where your heart is". Even if you get your *** kicked bad and you put up a fight they will probally leave you alone because they know you're not an easy target.

And keeping to yourself is kinda a bad idea. Sometimes i guess, but it mostly shows that you're scared of them. So just do what you do and don't let them take your things or punk you. Just fight if you have to and you will earn some respect.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts