Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work in an office... when i was the new girl it was easy to shy away unnoticed but now I've been there awhile and haven't formed any connections with anyone,
I'm turning down invites, eating lunch by myself and getting more and more anxious and I even start trembling when speaking with people and get away as quick as possible.
I'm getting increasingly paranoid, I've spoken about it alot at therapy but its still really dragging me down. Anyone have advice from their experience of coping in the workplace? :blush

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

Hi,
I feel some what the same. I hate starting new Jobs and it takes for ever to settle in untill im comfortable.
Wish it was so easy to relax and just be me.
I usually eat by my self as well but not all the time.
I need drugs I think.

·
Banned
133 Posts
You are stuck in a vicious downward cycle of anxiety and you know it, and it's hard to get out. If you are in a cycle heading down, you have to think about how you can break out of the downward cycle and possibly get into an upward one.

One way to do that would be to start going to lunch with everyone else at work and accepting whatever invites come your way...you might find that people enjoy your company or that you make friends simply by being in the same physical space as others. And of course, that might not happen too, but it's a risk you'll have to take if you want to get out of this cycle of anxiety.

When I was having this issue, I eventually found out that I was in the wrong career entirely! So I decided to go back to school for something else. Now that I am the completely opposite and different career, I am totally connecting with people and have lots to talk about. I am not sure if that is the issue here, but it could be. It's up to you to figure out.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

·
Registered
24 Posts
My job involves answering phones and a radio all day, while sitting in a room for eight hours with another person, so I struggled when I first started working there. Now people still comment on how I am quiet, but people seem to figure out quickly that someone is shy. I have found that people love to talk about themselves and complain about work no matter what type of job it is. I would try to start trying to talk to people about work itself, and then slowly build yourself up to sitting down at lunch and conversing with coworkers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, its good advice, I'm definitely not completely satisfied in the job but its just something for the time being as its hard to find work and I don't know what I want to do!
I have occassionally gone to coffee with people in the work canteen but when I'm there I'm just sitting there frozen in fear, can't focus on the conversation and am completely taken over by nerves and paranoia, I get so tense I can't pick up my cup or spoon. I keep avoiding going with them for days and weeks til I work up courage to go again and so on.
I know I need to try harder at it, its just such a nightmare!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went for a break with colleagues today, it went anxiety free which was a surprise and I felt a million times better after. From my experience one good day isn't a recovery in itself but it was a little baby step that I'll remember for next time. Keeping in mind at the time that I was only sharing a space with others was quite therapeutic.:)

·
Banned
133 Posts
Went for a break with colleagues today, it went anxiety free which was a surprise and I felt a million times better after. From my experience one good day isn't a recovery in itself but it was a little baby step that I'll remember for next time. Keeping in mind at the time that I was only sharing a space with others was quite therapeutic.:)
Great work! You did exactly what you were supposed to! What I have learned is that all you do is keep working at it and things will continue to get better. You will have days that are down days where you feel pretty anxious, but over time you will have more and more days like this where you barely feel anxious at all! Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great work! You did exactly what you were supposed to! What I have learned is that all you do is keep working at it and things will continue to get better. You will have days that are down days where you feel pretty anxious, but over time you will have more and more days like this where you barely feel anxious at all! Keep up the good work!
Thanks, gonna try and keep my mind focused on this one!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts