Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Ok, so this is one of my biggest problems: I've just noticed that anytime I start a conversation it's with a question. I ask the other person something about themselves, and I've become very good at getting someone to keep talking about themselves for long periods of time. The problem? They never learn anything about me. I learn a lot about them, and they start to feel comfortable around me, but I continue to feel nervous because I really don't open up to them. I've been noticing lately how often most people will start conversations with me, by telling a story, or just giving a statement about themselves, or something around them. This is something I'm really bad at. I don't really have any interesting stories to tell, and I'm having a lot of trouble thinking of general conversation starters. Any suggestions that would involve both me talking about my self, but also involving the other person?
That is what I experience. I go up to someone and ask them their name and then where their from and continue asking these introductory questions. The next day I see the person, they don't even look at me and say hi. Very rarely has there been someone who said hi to me first.
Its as if no one is interested in meeting me or getting to know me. I read alot of topics with people telling us that everyone is always as eager as we are to meet someone new, but my experience falsifies this claim.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Let's see if I understood you well. In conversations, you don't reveal that much about yourself compared to the person you're talking to. It sounds like you tend to ask questions, listen but refrain from expressing your own thoughts about their views on topics.

I would suggest to take the risk of expressing your opinions or general thoughts on topics. Yes I know, "but that person may criticize me for it! It would be terrible if she did and I wouldn't cope with it!" But how do you know if that is true? How about you create a behavioral experiment to test it out? When in a conversation with your peers, express your honest opinion or thought on a topic (doesn't have to be about politics or religion...in fact, stay away from those topics!!!). Afterward, write down the facts and then write your new belief that you learn from that experiment. Then repeat!
From my experience, no one asks questions about me as if they dont want to make a new friend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.