Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've played consoles all my life. Just not even a week ago have I switched over to PC because I sold my xbox 360. When I first got on the keyboard and mouse I sucked so bad and it was so frustrating to move and press the keys while playing. I kept telling myself "oh my god, I wish I had a controller!" And for those who play with mouse and keyboard mostly they will feel the same towards a controller. Literally though, sometimes it takes me a few seconds just to find the right key on my keyboard which will result in a kill from the other person (FPS).

I've read a lot about which is better k&m or controller for pc and because most pc gamers play pc exclusively for a long time they always say k&m. They have one good point that is getting to me though, and that is that the mouse allows for quicker and more precision and turning; however, for me right now it's a toss up because I'm still learning, but I can see how the mouse has a faster turning rate than a pad on a controller.

Arg, idk! What do you guys think? Remember on xbox 360 I am VERY good and controller feel very good to me. I'm getting better on pc to where I don't have to think about the keys but I'm still having delayed time reactions. On xbox I'd have many kills on FPS that would have my kill/death ratio very good. Still, on pc i'm playing a different type of opponent who uses a faster reaction with mouse (maybe)...I will install my controller tomorrow because I just got it and tell you how I do against PC gamers with k&m and will even compare the two styles on PC.

Idk, what do you guys think? Controller or k&m for PC? Why? Thanks.

·
Banned
229 Posts
i am new to PC gaming myself and passed BF3 in about 6 hours using a cheap wireless mouse and keyboard. just adjust the sensitivity to the mouse and keyboard keys to your liking and you are better off than using a controller.

i tried to use a wireless controller for BF3 but that is way harder than using mouse and keyboard. for one, it is not comfortable to using the aiming y x and z to the left (or right) stick and using the "looking/walking" to the y x and z to the right (or left) stick. also, my controller (similar to an xbox or ps3) did not have enough buttons that the game required.

so i lean more towards mouse and keyboard for PC games... though a controller is essential for PC game emulators.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
k and m. like any control interface it will take time to adjust but in the end it is far superior.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It took me a while to adjust to keyboard and mouse, but now I can't imagine going back. I'd say it is completely worth changing to.

·
B 2 Lonely
1,077 Posts
i use keyboard+ mouse mainly, with the x360 controller for games like assassin's creed or platformers.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, so I tried it with a controller on pc and your right it sucked compared to keyboard and mouse.

I think there is a sensitivity difference between console and pc though because on console the controller moves better and less sluggish but different on pc. I think because it's on pc it's made to conform to a mouse and not a controller even though I tried to tweak it a bit.

I'll keep the controller around for other games like racing or dual fighter games or something. Those things are still expensive I can't believe it.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Keyboard + mouse can take a bit of time getting used to, but there is a definite payoff in learning them.

There is a reason Microsoft doesn't offer a keyboard+mouse peripheral for Xbox Live gaming- it would quickly become requisite for any competitive players.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Heh, I remember learning to use the keyboard and mouse in Doom. I had to use the walls to get anywhere, just like when I was learning to skate as a little kid. But it's way, way better once you get used to it. Thumbsticks are really bad for looking around. They've got that huge dead zone in the middle so it's really hard to be accurate. Game controllers should have a trackball or trackpad instead of a second stick. The trackpad/button on Blackberries seems perfect to me.

·
Sigh...
856 Posts
Keyboard and Mouse, it's far superior!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts