Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could do with some help / opinions / advice regarding the use of CMS - at the moment, I'm boggled. I've been trying to read up on them, but I feel like I'm in information overload right now. :stu

I've been trying to build a site using Drupal but I'm finding it too difficult to use - it seems you need to be really tech. savvy to understand what it can do so as to get the most out of it? :eek:ops

Also, I really don't need a "news" feed type of article layout: content needs to be static, pretty much.

The site itself will just have the logo top centre; a nav. bar on the left hand side so that people can then select the articles they want to read: so, we're talking very basic stuff here. At least until I can figure out what I am doing and can make the time to learn more about this stuff. :fall

My strengths lie in content writing, not in coding. I need something that will be:

1) free
2) easy to use
3) allows me to "publish" content with no hassle; and which can handle images too.
4) needs to be able to run on an ancient win98 system (so, the "smaller" the better really, if that makes sense?)
5) can run on an apache server. (I have a URL already; a friend agreed to "host" (?) it for me on their server.
6) isn't loaded with spyware; or makes you display advertising.
7) I don't need it to have user accounts; or a message board: not at this moment in time, anyway.

Can anyone help? :popcorn

·
Registered
435 Posts
i've never used a cms, i tend to just make my own stuff from scratch, but i know there are quite a lot out there for php...

php + mysql + apache = complete server solution, and it's totally free, and it will run on win98 without problem as far as i know. also, php/mysql hosting is the cheapest out there if you don't intend to host it yourself.

the only php cms's i've heard about are one called samba (i think) and another called xoop... there's also php-nuke... i don't know much about it but it's all i ever hear about... i'd look up php-nuke, then samba, then xoop (xoops?) and see if any of those do what you want. far as i know they are all totally free. you can also just search for "php cms" ... maybe throw "oss" (open sourced software) in there... and try sourceforge.net for lots of other open source (free) stuff.

or hire someone like me to create what you want :D

·
Registered
435 Posts
also, it sounds like what you want wouldn't be very hard to do with just static html... couldn't you just create your site in a program like adobe go live, or macromedia dreamweaver... or ms front page... and then update it that way and just upload the files after you update...

the most important lesson i learned in all of my years programming is that the simplest solution is always the best... if all you want is a menu and links to your articles, a cms might be overkill...

·
kept in His hands
1,334 Posts
I've also been researching CMS.

Have you tried wordpress (wordpress.org)? It's free and open source just like Drupal and runs on MYSQL and PHP. Also, if you don't need something that advanced, blogger.com lets you set up a free blog-type site that you can FTP to your server. MYSQL or PHP is not required for blogger.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your suggestions, SadPanda.

I checked out your names on google - but, I don't think they are what I need either? And yes, I think you are right it might well be overkill, but...? Totally agree with you with regards to keeping it simple: that's what I want and apply that to most things.

As for flash etc. I don't want any flash on the site whatsoever. Using MS wasn't a bad idea at all (thanks!) but, I would like the site to be readable and for it to actually work.... ;) :lol so I guess that's out too.

I already stated in my OP I was not a coder; and, alas, I can't afford to hire anyone.

Back to the drawing board! Thanks for the reply though, appreciated. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TruSeeker777,

nope, on both counts.

I need to log off right now, but I will have a peek at those two suggestions tonight.

·
Registered
435 Posts
penguin said:
Thanks for your suggestions, SadPanda.

I checked out your names on google - but, I don't think they are what I need either? And yes, I think you are right it might well be overkill, but...? Totally agree with you with regards to keeping it simple: that's what I want and apply that to most things.

As for flash etc. I don't want any flash on the site whatsoever. Using MS wasn't a bad idea at all (thanks!) but, I would like the site to be readable and for it to actually work.... ;) :lol so I guess that's out too.

I already stated in my OP I was not a coder; and, alas, I can't afford to hire anyone.

Back to the drawing board! Thanks for the reply though, appreciated. :)
macromedia dreamweaver isn't flash, it's just your normal drag and drop web site designer. you can use dreamweaver or golive to create static web pages without knowing a single thing about code. they can even do things like, blocks of a page that are shared across multiple pages (without needing programming), so that you don't have to recreate your menu or header on every page. they even have built in features to auto-update your website via ftp.

i really think you should look into one of these. the reason i suggested ms front page is because it comes with office and most people have office. these are generally very easy to use, and if you're going to be uploading your stuff every time you make an update anyways, you may as well just do it this way. i know quite a few people that swear by dreamweaver, and use it professionally. i don't think it has as steep a learning curve as something like photoshop either, for basic stuff.

but, if you've found something that does the trick go for it :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
i should also add, that there are a number of smaller, free wysiwyg (what you see is what you get) website editors. they let you drag and drop, and create your web page the same way you would create an ms word document, without looking at the code... tho something like dreamweaver is more likely to generate html that is compatible with more browsers.

actually, ms word itself has the ability to output a document in html format :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Samba and mambo both exist. *grin.

To update: I was lucky enough to have a tech friend spend a couple of hours whizzing through Drupal with me, so yay. I am further forward than I was when I first posted, and not so terrified and boggled by it now. Well...not as much at least ;)

*BUT* thanks for all your great suggestions; it's interesting to learn about what else is out there and what I could have used and might well use in the future.

:thanks you guys :nw

1 - 13 of 13 Posts