Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please? I think that this is taking over my life. I literally worry about how people perceive my physical appearance.

I know that I'm not attractive...or at least I think so, there's some hope inside of me that I am pretty. But I don't think I am.

I dress what I feel is comfortable in, which is usually kind of plain, and I'm kind of a tomboy when I dress in things. However, I make sure that whatever I'm wearing looks good on me. But when I do dress nice on occasion, in a nice dress and I do my hair well, nobody really notices me. Nobody looks or glances at me in public(unless I look at them first).

I don't tend to wear makeup(I know that it makes a big difference) because I prefer it more natural, and besides...I don't like having a different face...it wouldn't be me.

I think my family and friends just lie when they say that I'm pretty. But once I asked a couple of friends to be brutally honest, and to rate me out of 10. They gave me a 5. So I know I'm completely average, even when I try to look nice.

I always compare myself to other girls, and when I see attractive females I just feel completely and utterly depressed inside. I always look in the mirror so I can check out if I look fat or average as usual. I wish I had lighter skin. I wish I had larger eyes. I wish I didn't have such fat arms and an overpowering gut and flabby thighs.

You know when you see an attractive person, but their sibling(s) just look okay? I'm that plain sibling. My sisters are pretty, and I know they are because people have told me when they saw them. Sometimes one or both of them are referred to as the "pretty one" or "pretty ones"...so I know that I'm just not pretty, because they've been distinguished away from me. It makes me so sad, you know?

I always look at pretty girls, especially on facebook, and I see that they have long eyelashes and whatever. Then I keep wishing that I had features like that. It hurts that they get 10+ likes on their photo when they just sit there and smile, and they don't have to do anything special. I barely get any when I put up my profile picture with me in makeup, and dressed well for my prom/formal.

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
You just have to deal with the cards you were given and make the best of it. You only have two solutions to this problem: do your best to look good (wear nice clothes, workout, do hair/make up) or just accept yourself. I have an attractive sibling myself and we've been compared many times but you get used to it. Just remember that being attractive doesn't make people better or more deserving than less attractive people. Don't ever think you aren't good enough just because of something so silly as looks. Reduce the amount of time spent browsing Facebook, celebrity news/magazines, and looking in the mirror and focus your time interacting with others without worrying about how they perceive you.

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
don't worry so much about the way you look, looking good is not equal to a succesful life unless you have the full package, looks, social skills, extroverted personality etc and besides you can only rely on looks for how long? 20 years, 25? and stay away from facebook that's only going to make you even more selfconscious

1 - 3 of 3 Posts