Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SKIP TO "BETA BLOCKERS" PART IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ MY QUICK STORY

I'm 21 years old and I'm right before a couple of months trip out of my country. I'll have to speak in a language that's not my primary language and haven't used in 5+ years. I'll be speaking to unknown people in a different language. This definitely triggers the physical aspects of social anxiety.

My anxiety is not that severe, I'd rather categorize it as moderate/mild, because I could bring myself to a state where I could talk freely to people and stay happy in general. I'm still better off in my comfort zone though.

However, all the traveling thing really gives me chills sometimes and I try not to overthink it. I'm capable of containing my negative thoughts, but when the physical symptoms kick in, they manage to worsen my thoughts.

I hate the trembling, fast heart beating, sweating etc. when I feel anxious. And based on my experiences, managing to slow these down, will definitely help me. So this is where the beta blockers come into consideration...

BETA BLOCKERS

I've heard these totally or partially fade physical anxiety symptoms away. I liked the idea and I've never used them before. I've read a couple of articles that said they are prescription-only drugs. Well, the reason they are like that is because they can be fatal to people with some conditions like asthma, heart problems (?), diabetes etc.

I don't have either of those conditions (even the ones I didn't mention here). But yet, I still have to visit a psychiatrist before taking these...? Well, time's running away I'm still nowhere and I'm totally confident that beta blockers will help me. The issue with the psychiatrist is that I can't afford one momentarily, but I guess I could afford the pills somehow.

1. Is there a way to get beta blockers without a prescription?

OTHER MEDICATION

I've tried antidepressants (fluoxetine exactly) 4 years ago. They didn't help much, caused me endless and furious headaches, lost sense of reality, felt dizzy and weak, lost weight (people got surprised here). I'm also going to drive a car in the country I'm going to, therefore antidepressants are not really an option.

If you could answer my question here, I'd really appreciate it.

·
Master of my domain
1,339 Posts
There are online pharmacies you can get them from but it will have to be at your own risk. There shouldn't be a problem normally but I guess if you have some heart problems you are not aware of it could be an issue if you are unlucky. Also if you have low blood pressure you could end up feeling dizzy or even faint.

I thought of buying them too but I think I'm gonna see a doctor instead to get it prescribed. Don't wanna take any risks with the pump.

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
No it's not a controlled substance so any Dr can prescribe them, don't know internetshop for US...

Asthma yeah, diabetes, ehh they can mask the symtoms of low blodsugar so one could have so candy with em...

They slow down the stressimpuls to the heart so it won't beat fast, so if you walking or jogging,training it lowers your performence.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No way that I know of but I took a beta blocker with a benzo and poof stage fright and social anxiety pretty much gone! U can try online but I'm not familiar with getting prescription stuff online

1 - 4 of 4 Posts