Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mountainman
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm looking for alternatives to the dull Midwestern Ohio lifestyle, after I graduate from university I really want to just pack up and leave. I'd like to know what everyone's opinions would be. I've not decided on a permanent move, but I'd be happy to at least get to live in one of these places for a few years at least. If you've experience or you live in one of these places, please offer your thoughts/opinions/death threats.

Here's my list.
  • New Zealand
  • Iceland
  • Portland, OR
  • Nova Scotia
  • Chile
  • Australia

·
Banned
1,662 Posts
If you go to Australia, make sure you go to Melbourne, it is with out doubt the best city in Australia.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
The main considerations for me would be:

Job prospects
Weather
Overall Societal attitudes

Just do your research and planning.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My major opinion is: do ittttt!
It will be a great experience, and probably will push you out of your shell. It'd be cool if you got to learn a language put of it (e.g. Chile) but either way I doubt you will regret it.

I am from Australia, and also agree that you if you do go there, you should go to Melbourne! And I'm from Sydney so it's relatively bias free. :)

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
Portland, Oregon, would be cool because it's supposed to be one of the most vegan-friendly places. Plus you can take public transport everywhere. Definitely leave the Midwest! It does things to you.

·
Mountainman
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.

A question the Aussies: any opinions on Perth?

·
Registered
769 Posts
As I'm looking for alternatives to the dull Midwestern Ohio lifestyle, after I graduate from university I really want to just pack up and leave. I'd like to know what everyone's opinions would be. I've not decided on a permanent move, but I'd be happy to at least get to live in one of these places for a few years at least. If you've experience or you live in one of these places, please offer your thoughts/opinions/death threats.

Here's my list.
  • New Zealand
  • Iceland
  • Portland, OR
  • Nova Scotia
  • Chile
  • Australia
New Zealand and Australia are my two favorite places on Earth! :) (See my travel photo album) I've been to Australia 3 times and there's still so much more that I'd like to see there. Loved Sydney and Melbourne!

There seemed to be a lot of young people in New Zealand. South island is gorgeous! (We didn't get a chance to spend much time on the northern island.)

As for moving to another country, I've done it once. In 2002, my husband was on a project in Belgium. It was scary and hard in the beginning, but then it was better after a couple of months. My older son was only 18 months when we moved there and our apartment didn't have any furniture to start with. Spent a couple of weeks sitting on a tile floor until we bought furniture. Luckily we were in a touristy town (Brugge/Bruges), so most people spoke English, but I did learn a bit of Flemish while we were there.

Europe is good because it's so easy to travel to other countries. We were 2 hours from Paris, couple hours from Germany, maybe 3-4 hours from Amsterdam. When spring came, we traveled almost every weekend. My husband's work project was cut short when they ran out of money, so we were there just under a year. I probably could've lasted 18-24 months, but not much more than that since I missed seeing family. But maybe it would've been better now, since Skype and Facetime and other video chatting are getting so much better than when we were away.

It was definitely hard for the first 6 weeks, but I have memories of our time there that I'll always treasure!

·
Mountainman
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There seemed to be a lot of young people in New Zealand. South island is gorgeous! (We didn't get a chance to spend much time on the northern island.)
Funny, I had a South African-Australian in Israel tell me to stay away from the south island and to only focus on the north island.

He may be biased because he was apparently drunk.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Funny, I had a South African-Australian in Israel tell me to stay away from the south island and to only focus on the north island.

He may be biased because he was apparently drunk.
Hmmm. Curious. I wonder why. We landed in Auckland but then transferred to Wellington. Spent the night in Wellington, then took the ferry boat to the south island.

I enjoyed the south island, lots to do. We spent time in Christchurch (before the earthquake), went on a whale watch, took a train across to the other side, visited the pancake rocks, drove down to the glacier, climbed the glacier, spent a couple days in Queenstown, did some hiking, went to Milford Sound. One of the best trips of my life.

·
Permanently Manned!
2,894 Posts
Ya im seriously considering moving to Australia next year. The only things that are stopping me are: I will be on my own and also i have a huge fear of unfamiliar looking insects.

I know the insects bit sounds silly, but it is a big issue for me. If i woke up to find a big a** spider beside my face, i would literally scream the place down.

I cant even stand wasps - the minute one comes near me, i'm roaring the place down.

·
Mountainman
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've never been so I can't say.
Personally I'd go with Melbourne, apparently it's the world's most liveable City.
I'm more of the type that is adverse to cities so that is why I was considering Perth. But Melbourne looks nice enough by the look of it. :b

Thanks for the link by the way.

---
As a side note, I'm going to be focusing in Geography/Geology in uni. From the looks of it Australia is presently experiencing a mining boom and I might have a future! :9

·
Registered
300 Posts
I live in Perth, been there my whole life. I've been exploring work options to move away as well, not because it isn't necessarily a great city to live but just because I need a change.

It's very clean and beautiful, if a little quiet and boring at times. We probably have the best beaches in Australia along the WA coast, so if you like the beach and sun then that should suit you. If you come here you'll definitely need a car because commuting is a nightmare with our ****ty public transport system. In terms of work, we have a very strong economy here due to the mining/resources industry so finding something shouldn't be too difficult, especially compared to the US. I'm not sure about Geographers/Geologists, certainly Engineers are in big demand. I don't work in the industry though so wouldn't have the best idea, would be worth researching job sites to see what's available. Just depends on what you're after.

·
Mountainman
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I live in Perth, been there my whole life. I've been exploring work options to move away as well, not because it isn't necessarily a great city to live but just because I need a change.

It's very clean and beautiful, if a little quiet and boring at times. We probably have the best beaches in Australia along the WA coast, so if you like the beach and sun then that should suit you. If you come here you'll definitely need a car because commuting is a nightmare with our ****ty public transport system. In terms of work, we have a very strong economy here due to the mining/resources industry so finding something shouldn't be too difficult, especially compared to the US. I'm not sure about Geographers/Geologists, certainly Engineers are in big demand. I don't work in the industry though so wouldn't have the best idea, would be worth researching job sites to see what's available. Just depends on what you're after.
Competing with Aussies and having a company to sponsor me is going to be the really difficult part. I suppose I can always do a study semester abroad to get my feet wet.

Also, love the Bebop-Ed avatar.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Do you need a company to sponsor you? Can't you just get the working visa and come over and look for work like anyone else? Obviously if you can get a job lined up before you come then that would be great, but if you have some money saved up I think you'd be ok without it. Certainly you'd be able to find some part-time work to get by while you're job searching.

So what are you looking for in terms of a city to live in? In terms of lifestyle etc.

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
Portland. Yuck. If you move there, don't drive. The streets and highways are torture. Some of the worst traffic I've ever seen.

As for your other choices, Iceland is fabulous, although I think their economy is still in the tank. Beautiful country. Friendly people. The Blue Lagoon is awesome.

I'm moving to Sweden in about a month. Moving abroad is probably the only thing I've ever experienced that is equally exciting and frightening. You're biggest issue is going to be getting a visa. I assume a work visa? Some countries are easier to get into than others.

·
Banned
1,662 Posts
Ive lived in Melbourne for 4 years and I have never had a car and never needed one public transport hear is the best. If that's important to you.

·
Mountainman
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Portland. Yuck. If you move there, don't drive. The streets and highways are torture. Some of the worst traffic I've ever seen.

As for your other choices, Iceland is fabulous, although I think their economy is still in the tank. Beautiful country. Friendly people. The Blue Lagoon is awesome.

I'm moving to Sweden in about a month. Moving abroad is probably the only thing I've ever experienced that is equally exciting and frightening. You're biggest issue is going to be getting a visa. I assume a work visa? Some countries are easier to get into than others.
Yeah the big thing about Portland is supposed to be the bicycle scene, right? Why I'm even considering Portland is because of its music scene. Although I doubt I could much work there aside from a co-op. :boogie

I'm considering a student visa to any of those places I listed above. Sadly my university doesn't offer anything in Iceland (yet it offers a study option in Madagascar? :|)

Do you need a company to sponsor you? Can't you just get the working visa and come over and look for work like anyone else? Obviously if you can get a job lined up before you come then that would be great, but if you have some money saved up I think you'd be ok without it. Certainly you'd be able to find some part-time work to get by while you're job searching.

So what are you looking for in terms of a city to live in? In terms of lifestyle etc.
It makes things a lot easier on my part as having a company to sponsor you means they'll be handling a portion of the paperwork. Although I don't suppose it will be that hard for me to get a work visa as an educated, native English speaker with two degrees under my belt. :x

In terms of lifestyle I'm looking for a place that is rather laid back. As mentioned before I like open spaces. A good music scene is a plus. I don't like the temperature to be terribly hot but I can deal with it (I lived in Israel for a while. Talk about hot!).

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ok, Perth and Melbourne are probably your two best options in terms of lifestyle. Melbourne is probably Australia's cultural capital, the weather is milder there, though it has depressing winters. Perth has a really good music scene as well, always has really, though probably not as big as Melbourne. Summer can get really hot in Perth, though you'll find that everywhere in Australia, fortunately it's dry heat which is more bearable.

The biggest criticism that people generally have of Perth is that there's little nightlife and it can get boring. I'm guessing if you're on SAS though, that that's not a huge concern. Finding work in your field will definitely be easier over here than Melbourne though, everything mining related is pretty much based in WA.

(I really do sound like the WA tourism board here, I'm sorry)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Here's my list.
  • New Zealand
  • Iceland
  • Portland, OR
  • Nova Scotia
  • Chile
  • Australia
That's a pretty nice list. You might even want to consider the Scandinavian countries just for kicks.

If you end up staying in the US, I would vote Portland (you might also want to consider Seattle).

If you want to move abroad, I would vote Australia (probably Melbourne) first and maybe New Zealand as the runner-up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts