Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.christianagnostic.com/

Don't know if anyone here has seen this site before. It is one of my personal favorites. It has a reading for each day of the year, so it's worth revisiting.

As an example, today's:

November 29

I find creeds to be an excellent example of our occasionally outrageous table manners. These holy documents were carved out of several centuries of Christian experience. They were and are an attempt to describe the kind of faith that was emerging among the followers of Christ. Sadly, they quickly turned into a kind of loyalty oath or litmus test of one's status with God. This wasn't their intention at all. Instead of description, the creeds became a kind of prescription. Unless you believe the way we do, people began to say, you cannot be saved. What a travesty of their original purpose and promise. When Jesus asks that we believe in him it's not that we agree to some kind of theological proposition but rather that we enter into his life, walk where he is going, share in his experiences. This is what it means, I am convinced, to truly believe in Jesus. The bread of life is not to be broken down into its chemical components so that we might have some clever formula for salvation. The bread of life is to be eaten so that we may live and live abundantly.

There are times when I have quietly wished I might have more faith. I marvel at my friends and colleagues whose faith includes a certitude of creed and doctrine that mine simply does not. Deep within our tradition is the conviction that faith is a gift from God and for whatever reasons, God appears to have given me a little less than God has given others. I honestly believe God has some good reasons for this, one of them being that perhaps such ambiguity allows me to understand those good folk who struggle as I do with the lack of certitude and still continue to follow. I'm one of those who has found that following Jesus is much more productive than trying to figure him out. Indeed, even with all the books I have read, I can't think of one that has done more for my faith than my experiences of walking where Jesus walked. One of the best ways, I have found, for renewing my faith is not by picking up a book or studying a creed but by reaching out to ask forgiveness or offer it, visiting the sick, listening to the lonely, walking for a while with another wanderer on the way. In a curious way, I treasure my fragile faith and humbly suggest you might even do the same with yours.

·
kept in His hands
1,334 Posts
Indeed, even with all the books I have read, I can't think of one that has done more for my faith than my experiences of walking where Jesus walked. One of the best ways, I have found, for renewing my faith is not by picking up a book or studying a creed but by reaching out to ask forgiveness or offer it, visiting the sick, listening to the lonely, walking for a while with another wanderer on the way.
I find this to be so true in my life as well. I had never seen this site before. I read 5 or 6 of his posts and liked his perspective about what it means to really follow Christ.

I'll definitely be revisiting this site. Thanks for sharing. :)

Karen

·
Registered
34 Posts
There are times when I have quietly wished I might have more faith. I marvel at my friends and colleagues whose faith includes a certitude of creed and doctrine that mine simply does not
That sounds like my brother. His beliefs are concrete and unmoving. I find myself always going between believing and not believing. I think "Christian Agnostic" describes me to a tee.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts