Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey SAS, I'm currently a 3rd year university student planning to graduate early at the end of this year with a B.A. in Global Studies.

So I submitted a paper abstract in order to present at an upcoming conference, and I found out it got accepted today. There was a sense of relief and brief joy at having gotten chosen, followed by a visceral fear of having to speak in front of who knows how many people. The reason I entered was because I plan to have this paper published and the conference would really help with connections, feedback, etc. (Both of which, incidentally, heighten my anxiety and have sent me into panic overdrive as of right freaking now).

Among the presentations I have given, some have gone well and some have tanked, literally blanking on a topic that I know well, and this is with plenty of practice. There is a fear of failure, and of not being able to answer challenging questions thrown at me from some direction I did not expect. As for the networking aspect, I know this would help further my goal, but with my fear of social interaction I fear instead of gaining a greater social network all I will do is repel others. Not to mention, I am not as articulate and eloquent in person as I am on paper.

I have never travelled alone before, and now I must fly out to the East Coast on my own with no idea how to get there and back and hoping to just somehow figure it out. I feel very lost.

I know this is lengthy, thanks to those who did read the entire thing.

Panicking now. I am not on any medication.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I know the panic feeling that you have, I had it all last semester when I had to take a public speaking class. I'm not sure if you're asking for advice, but I can't really give any (except for the basics like keep practicing, practice in the mirror or in front of someone). But, there was something that I recently started doing when I'm very scared or worried about something. When my SA was at its worst (don't really have it anymore) I would have a "Worry List" which was where I wrote down all of the worries that I had. After writing them down I would always feel a huge relief, my stomach would stop hurting and everything. If I can write it down on paper, it can't be that big of a deal. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, I think the idea of the "Worry List" could help, seeing the problems laid out in front of me--and it sort of acts like a "to do" list of sorts, can check off things that I need to correct/do.

Congrats for mostly getting rid of your SA :)

·
Registered
831 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about professional networking but it seems like in a situation like this you've got more to gain than to lose. If it goes well, you'll have made an impression that'll give you an advantage in your networking efforts, you'll get feedback, and a greater chance of getting published. But if it goes badly, you'll still get feedback, it probably won't greatly affect your chances of getting published, and just by being there you'll still have some networking opportunities. So you could look at it that way.

Also, it's important to remember that you have had presentations go well in the past, and there's no reason to think this one won't also work out.

Hopefully that helps and if not, best of luck anyway! You should be proud that you've been able to get this opportunity in the first place; they don't let just anybody do what you're doing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts