Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of the 2 and why?

I've taken both and Effexor seemed to cause (quite a lot) less sexual dysfunction so that's a major + for Effexor.

One thing in particular I was wondering about: I'm taking the Concerta basically for it's dopaminergic effects and only them.

Which of the above 2 would have the least NA-boosting effect in combination with Concerta? (or the most NA decreasing, either way, I certainly want to avoid more of it if possible)

·
Cheesus
4,144 Posts
Well Lexapro will obviously not increase any norepinephrine, but honestly Effexor only does that at higher doses of 225mg+. Either way Effexor seems to work amazingly for anxiety, it's one of the only ones actually indicated for social anxiety. Norepinephrine is definitely not a bad guy when it comes to anxiety, people just assume so.

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
I think effexor may block the effects of the ritalin i couldnt really tell the difference when on the 2.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Lexapro will obviously not increase any norepinephrine, but honestly Effexor only does that at higher doses of 225mg+. Either way Effexor seems to work amazingly for anxiety, it's one of the only ones actually indicated for social anxiety. Norepinephrine is definitely not a bad guy when it comes to anxiety, people just assume so.
It certainly isn't that black and white idd, it's all about balance.

But for me personally, I need the one that will not boost or maybe even lessen the NA effect of the Concerta.

My guess would have also been on Effexor doing a better job at that when both are taken at the max dosage.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've taken both and I preferred Effexor. I didn't feel stimulated and anxious till I got to 300mg. It is officially approved for SA, if that helps. Lexapro made me an apathetic zombie and I tried to kill myself. I don't think either will boost NA at lower doses. If you've taken both before why don't you take the one that worked better?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We've talked about it and my psychiatrist was unanimous on Escitalopram/Lexapro being the better option for this combination. She told me her experience with other patients has been that Venlafaxine is harsher as far as BP and heart are concerned, that Escitalopram will work faster and that Escitalopram is simply the more effective of the two. (apparently what studies found is not her own experience)

Sounded convincing enough so it will be Concerta 54 mg 2x/day + Lexapro 30 mg/day for the next 2 months at least. (and hopefully for longer than that as well since that would mean it's working!)

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
Whooa that a high dose make sure you have something for serotonin sydrome.

I would personally start as low as i can with those med's cause both are strong there gonna be some interaction for sure. No coffee or cigerettes. Be safe. Take it slow.

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
Im gonna try and maybe get some concerta on my next visit if not that. Then ill settle for dexedrine. I need the comprehension enchancement of ritalin for when i start driving and reading books. I think i got enough knowledge now to hopefully deal with and counter the side effects.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts