Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if this means it's now a zombie computer? It happens rarely, but I can be in the middle of something like browsing the web, and all of a sudden the computer just reboots without any warning :sus Help.....

·
Registered
435 Posts
it could also be just that you're crashing. what version of windows? i think some versions are set by default to just reboot instead of showing you a blue screen of death... this used to happen to me when my graphics card drivers were buggered...

if you don't have a virus scanner, grab avg free... but usually viruses don't reboot you, they want you alive. if your computer was a zombie it wouldn't reboot, it would just secretly do bad things. the only one i know of that reboots you, is the one mentioned here... but, newer versions of windows that are up to date on security patches won't have that problem, and a firewall will also protect you from it.

if this suddenly started happening to me, even though i was up do date on windows with all the patches, had the most recent video drivers, was running antivirus and had a firewall... i'd probably get frustrated and reinstall windows... and if it carried on i'd assume it was a hardware problem :\ then memory would be the first thing i'd check... there are programs to test your memory. i'd also consider that it could be a power fluctuation problem. do you have a proper surge protector? maybe the power supply on your computer isn't happy. or maybe a fan in your case stopped working and your computer is overheating... most new-ish computers will turn off if they are overheating... you can get programs to monitor the temperaturs in your cpu. or you can press "delete" or whatever as your computer is booting to get into the bios, and watch the temperatures for a while there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
or maybe a fan in your case stopped working and your computer is overheating
Yeah, this was the problem we had with our older computers. Fortunately, new fans aren't too expensive.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:um
Okay...
Well, I have AVG and Spybot and they haven't found anything. It's a relatively new computer. And my Windows is XP. Yes, it's probably the power surge thing... The monitor and all the important parts are hooked to a regular outlet, but I have the power surge protector right beside it, lol, and it's got the unimportant stuff hooked into it. That's funny. Time to...reorganize!

Thanks guys...if that doesn't work, I'll do the other things Sadpanda mentioned. :boogie

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i know my opinion doesnt mean anything but im guessing its overheating. that usually causes nasty results.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If your computer is rebooting (no crash screens) ask yourself...

1. is it completely random where as you could be surfing the net or playing a graphic intense game and it reboots just whenever or during specific types of computer useage?

2. does it reboot on a general time (every hour or three hours) or completely random?

3. Does it reboot on its own during idle times when theres not real process useage?

Generally random reboots tend to be because the CPU or motherboard are overheating. If its only during intense games it could also be video card overheating (run temp monitor to see if anything is running hot). If nothings running hot it may be a virus. Also a bad stick of ram can cause random reboots.

If none of that pans out to be the problem less likely problem could be your boot hardrive is failing, power supply is failing, surge protector is failing (if its the surge protector look to see if anything else loses power thats connected to the surge protector.... monitor.... speakers.... vid cam... or whatever else is on that same surge protector).

My suggestions.... open up your comp. Get a can of compressed air and blow it out good. Check all your fans (generally best to remove them while checking) and clean them out of dust thoroughly. Install a tempeture monitoring program (assuming your motherboard supports this)( Asus MBs generally have very good temp monitoring software you can install), also make sure its set to record temperatures to a logfile for monitoring.

Warning: if its a CPU or Motherboard overheating issue damage may have been inflicted to the CPU and Motherboard that cannot be repaired and will require replacement to get rid of the random reboots.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts