Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any computer programmers here?

I'm a computer science major, and I'm becoming more more LESS interested in this course

just curious how a job in this field is like with SA and all
...cause is seems like it would be a great job, but everytime I see a computer I just want to chuck it out the window

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
In terms of money, I think computer programmer is one of the highest-paying non-social jobs one can have.

You can do well in the job with minimal social interaction--just smile, do what your told and keep pumpin out the code :)

(Optional) If you want to prosper (in other words, make big $$$), you have to migrate into more of an "architectural" position, where you define the high level flow and design of the program, and your minions scurry about to do your bidding. Above this is management, and you're not really a programmer any more but more along the lines of a CTO.

Oh, and I do suggest you read my "Advice from a Former Student" thread in the Students forum :)

-Ryan

·
SAS's Chief Meteorologist
7,539 Posts
I've been a software engineer for about 10 years. I get kind of bored with the programming part of it any more, but I still like to design software. I had a hard time with the office politics at my last job. I worked at a large corportation and it was like working in a Dilbert cartoon. Except it wasn't funny. My next job is hopefully going to be at a smaller company where you're judged by the work you do and not how well you can BS.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
I am in quality control - looking after what programmers put into programs. I report bugs to the managers of the developers and see that all problems are addressed before the software is released. There is a lot of computers and different brands that I have to keep track of - I actually think it is a lot of fun! Plus, I do make a good living at what I do.

·
(.*?)
6,755 Posts
I work for myself doing PHP. Pays badly, though it has potential. The important thing is that I'm doing what I used to happily do for free, and not having a boss is nice as I get to decide what I should be doing.

I actually got myself to this situation by flunking out of my computer science major, ending up with a philosophy degree that left me plenty of unemployment time to get business going.

eyeguess said:
...cause is seems like it would be a great job, but everytime I see a computer I just want to chuck it out the window
Then you should certainly be looking at another field. A job is only great if you like it. If you don't like computers, you don't like a job spending your day dealing with them. $50,000 at a job you hate isn't going to make you happier than $20,000 at a job you at least don't mind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
the_bull said:
My next job is hopefully going to be at a smaller company where you're judged by the work you do and not how well you can BS.
I hear that!!! I work in IT and the job was great when we the company was medium sized. Now that it's grown and we've added a few more people they finally re-structured the IT department, it's a mess! The people who have been their the longest are the corporate ladder climbing type who only care about making themselves look good in front of upper management. They screw over the people doing the real work. It's sad, but usually how it works in the corporate world.

Why can't I find a small company that pays well who needs one single "IT guy" to run their shop???

:no

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I do programming, but I'm not a programmer, I'm a computer scientist.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm a programmer, I like programming cause it helps me to forget about my anxiety when I do program. But don't think that be a programmer will have no social interaction. Maybe less, but not really free from interaction. We have to interact with user, our boss, our team leader, and team members (because we will work on team based), and some people in system operation side. But there, the interactions are only among these people. We will not meet new faces so often, only if any of these people leave and somebody else replace. I always think I'm lucky to have this job, cause I have SA. i will not be able to stand with a job that requires more interaction.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
What don't you like about programming?

On good days I love my job. I get to solve problems, feel creative, and write clean code I know will last a generation.

On bad days I hate my job. Some of the projects are a real bore. Sometimes starting at the screen for eight hours a day can be so grueling.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Has anyone thought of opening their own bussiness? with a software/hardware idea? There's still got to be millions of possibilities for a new bussiness.

·
(.*?)
6,755 Posts
Goran said:
Has anyone thought of opening their own bussiness? with a software/hardware idea? There's still got to be millions of possibilities for a new bussiness.
The great thing about a software business is that you don't need to start off wealthy like with almost any other business in the world. The startup costs are zero if you distribute and market online. It levels the playing field.

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is a lot of money to be made in good software. Some parts of the market are flooded though - PHP/MySQL springs to mind, even Java is some what saturated. Everyone seems to think they are a web developer or designer.

Most CS departments seem to teach java, although my year at uni was one of the last to use C and C++ as a main language. I think its handy, much of Microsoft's .NET uses C and C++.... C#, inplementing VB.NET using C# etc.

Unix consultants and C system programmers seem to make a lot.... and if you are a SAP expert or trainer, you will earn a small fortune.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I should just add.... i think computer scientists own the future.... particularly with the switch to embedded devices.... anything from cell phones, to pda's, to the microcontrollers in toasters microwaves and dvd players..... etc :b

1 - 14 of 14 Posts