Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Dancing on my own
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, they're both work computers.

The first computer has a problem when trying to submit information into the text boxes on sites... It'll let you input the info, but when you go to press "submit" it will erase it and refresh the page. It never gets to the next page or lets you submit your info... Any ideas on what could be causing that? I already ran an AVG scan and the only threats that it found were tracking cookies...

The second computer is running impossibly slow, but, just like the other one, all that was found by AVG was tracking cookies. I've tried doing a disk clean-up and running the disk fragmentor afterwards but that doesn't seem to help.

Both computers are running Windows XP, by the way.

Thanks for the help! :)

·
Pronouced Tech-Oh
199 Posts
Which Internet Browser are you using? And have you tried using another yet?

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
CourtneyB said:
The second computer is running impossibly slow, but, just like the other one, all that was found by AVG was tracking cookies. I've tried doing a disk clean-up and running the disk fragmentor afterwards but that doesn't seem to help.
Does it run slow all the time? I had AVG on my old computer with Windows XP and it became so slow it was almost unusable at times because of AVG's updater. I had the same problem trying to run AVG on Windows 7 and finally ditched it for Microsoft Security Essentials.

·
Dancing on my own
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which Internet Browser are you using? And have you tried using another yet?
Both use Firefox. And yes, we used to use IE but it sucked lol

Does it run slow all the time? I had AVG on my old computer with Windows XP and it became so slow it was almost unusable at times because of AVG's updater. I had the same problem trying to run AVG on Windows 7 and finally ditched it for Microsoft Security Essentials.
Yes, it does. It's an old computer and both users of the computer never seem to delete anything off their computers in fear that doing so might "mess it up". The first computer is a few years old, the second one is probably from the early 00's :b

I actually switched both computers to Avast just now. AVG was just annoying me too much so I trashed it.

I could register Avast on the second computer (input and submit the info) but with the first one, again, it erased and refreshed the page so I can't register that computer until I get the problem fixed.

·
Lost
449 Posts
Kudos for switching to Avast! Avast is by far the best anti-virus software I've ever used in my life. Secondly, IE does suck---yes. Firefox is far better. Now, about your problem...

On the PC that keeps refreshing the page, I wanted to say that it was a browser issue but since you tried both IE and Firefox, then I guess it is not. You may have to update Javascript on that PC. It is a free download. It may have some broken drivers. As for the PC that is running slow, I would recommend reformatting the HDD--if you can--and switching to Windows 7, if you have it. If not, reinstall XP.

If you can't do that then try System Restore. Restore it back to a date when it was working fine. You should always set System Restore points at least once a week in case something like this happens.

·
B 2 Lonely
1,077 Posts
you should run ccleaner, can be downloaded @ www.piriform.com. ccleaner will clean out extra things that are considered old, and its default settings work magic to the computers i have used it on.

if you want, also check your notification area (by the clock on the taskbar). if you have too many things running down there (aside from windows volume, network, graphics) you should remove them or stop them from auto-starting. I use Revo Uninstaller to uncheck auto start up items, but you can manually do it in each program's settings (possibly). i use Revo to look for past temp files and delete any ones it finds. it's built in uninstaller is great because it searches registry and explorer for files linked to the specific program, taking most of it out at once. Can be found @ http://www.revouninstaller.com/start_freeware_download.html

if you are looking to do a mass uninstall of programs, you can use PCDecrapifier to uninstall en masse. you can find that @ http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

these are some temporary solutions i can suggest. reformatting and starting over is good, but if you need something that takes a few minutes versus 1 hour reinstall, might be something quick to try. can be found

i am a malwarebytes and MSE fan. the combo works great. MSE makes a good on-access scanner, while malwarebytes gets almost daily updates.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Okay, they're both work computers.

The first computer has a problem when trying to submit information into the text boxes on sites... It'll let you input the info, but when you go to press "submit" it will erase it and refresh the page. It never gets to the next page or lets you submit your info... Any ideas on what could be causing that? I already ran an AVG scan and the only threats that it found were tracking cookies...

Both computers are running Windows XP, by the way.

Thanks for the help! :)
hmm do the first pc problem happen on all site or only a site ?

do u install any new software for the 2nd pc? or make any changes
on 2nd pc?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts