Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, for a while now whenever I try and I start my computer it makes all the whirrs and clicks of starting up then unexpectedly shuts down. (without even having time to display ANYTHING on screen, just the engine gets turned on sorta, then it shuts down)

And then after that, it won't even make any noise when you click the power button. You have to unplug the power cord, click on and off the power button, and turn the power switch back and forth in the back, then it will at least attempt to start up again. (it starts up maybe... 1/20 times, ugh, somedays it's wierd though, it will continuiously start up fine, then a day like today... noway to get it started, i'm on my sister's computer)

So anyone have any idea what this is and what to do about it?
Thanks!

-Colin

·
Old Fogie
419 Posts
Is the CPU cooling fan working?

I know that on my computer (HP) it will do exactly what you are describing if the CPU cooling fan does not start up.

·
Registered
435 Posts
yeah check all the fans... you can also go into the bios and keep an eye on the temps for a bit (press delete or escape or f2 or whatever it says just after powering on). get a compressed air can and give the fans a good spray. do you have stable power there? or do you get a lot of black/brown-outs?

if the fans all look fine, my second guess might be the power supply... when mine die, the computer just refuses to turn on. usually at that point i don't play around trying to start it up again, i just go get a new one.

if your cpu is overheating, shouldn't the power supply always whirr up when you hit the power, at least for a bit?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think that they are saying that it makes all the usall noises associated with a computer starting. I had the same problem a while back and it turned out that the motherboard was shot. It definately sounds like a hardware issues though. Did you install any new hardware recently that may be conflicting?

·
Registered
435 Posts
he said "after that, it won't even make any noise when you click the power button"... if it's just a motherboard problem, that wouldn't happen i'm pretty sure.

but, if you want to be thorough, take out all the cards except your graphics card, and try again... if it was the motherboard, i'm pretty sure the psu wouldn't complain... the computer would just never "post"... the fans would spin up, but it would just sit there forever with a black screen.

·
Comfortably Numb
347 Posts
Sounds like the power supply to me to. It's really easy to replace them and they are pretty cheap. $20+ or so. If you need any help lemme know and i'll get you a link with a picture tutorial on how to replace the power supply.

EDIT: Forget to mention one other thing. Did you recently add anything to the computer? It could be that your power supply can't handle the amount of power your computer is using. Whichever the case is, i'd say 99% sure it's power supply related.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well if the power supply is turned on by the motherboard sometimes that will happen. I have seen instances where the computer will run as normal for half an hour and then shut down where the problem was the motherboard but I have also seen many instaces where it just blank screens as you have said. You would think that someday someone will build a computer that will last.

·
Registered
22 Posts
And then after that, it won't even make any noise when you click the power button. You have to unplug the power cord, click on and off the power button, and turn the power switch back and forth in the back, then it will at least attempt to start up again.
I had the same thing recently. Basically I had to unplug power cable in back, then plug in, then the machine would boot. I even got another Power Switch wire from case manufacturer. That's what I think the problem is, probably. The Power Switch wire that plugs into the motherboard isn't working right. Check that first. Check the wire that goes from the Power button on your case and plugs into the motherboard. Make sure its connected, connected correctly. If it is, then something is probably haywire w/ the motherboard/power supply.

1. Reset Bios to Default settings.
2. Check that CMOS is ok (ie is the Time correct?)
3. Check Power Switch wire to motherboard.
4. Check the fans.
5. If you have Logging in the BIOS, check what it says.

If you've done all that and it still won't work by turning on Power Button and you have to unplug/replug power cable in back....then when you get it up running you gotta do what I did....never turn it off, LOL.

Actually, your motherboard may be "screwy." You might try flashing the BIOS with an updated BIOS and see if that solves problem.

My machine is now History, I bought another, too many problems with it. I think your motherboard may possible be :fall

·
Comfortably Numb
347 Posts
CodeWeasel said:
You would think that someday someone will build a computer that will last.
Don't expect Dell, Gateway, or any other big computer company to do this. My dell notebook convientely broke down right after the warranty expired. I'm pretty sure they build them to break down in a few years, after all if they lasted a long time they would loose money.

Building your own system or getting one thats built with high quality components is the best thing to do.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an Update: (thankyou for all the replies btw)

1. Computer would work by "revving" up the power switch. Eg: turn it on for 2.5 seconds, turn it off, turn it immediately on again, another 2.5, and so on for about 4 revs and then it would start.

2. Computer died.

heh.

Well who knows, but now the computer fans and whatnot will turn on, things will start whirring and whatnot, and not just shut down completely after 3 secs. But now nothing will happen after that... just a whirring clicking shell of a thing... Alas.

To note: also I had taken it apart completely, checking every connection and for any signs of shorts or damage. Nada to be seen. Even the power wire housing. Nothing.

So, I think maybe it is time to bring it into a shop. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
22 Posts
By "died", what do you mean?

1. Can you get into the BIOS? Does it Post?
2. Is the "clicking" loud and coming from the Hard Drive?

If you can't even get into the BIOS the mobo is dying/dead. If you can get into the BIOS, check the settings for your Hard Drive, make sure your BIOS DETECTS your Hard Drive. Autodetect of Hard Drive should be in place. If you can get into BIOS, clock is right, it autodetects Hard Drive but Hard Drive is making alot of loud click noises, bad Hard Drive.

But your Power still sounds screwy, too.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Your problem is screaming get a new power supply at me really loud. If you can take your computer apart yourself as you said you did, then replacing it should be easy. Maybe you have a place nearby that you can buy one and return it if it doesn't solve your problem.

·
Comfortably Numb
347 Posts
sadpanda said:
if the power supply is fried, the fans won't even turn on?
Yep. A dead power supply means no power. Attempting to turn the computer on without it plugged in would be about the same thing to a dead power supply.

·
Registered
350 Posts
There are different levels of fried/broken. I've had random rebooting/shutting off problems that I diagnosed and fixed on several pcs. I've yet to see a fried motherboard so I place that as very low likely, though I know it does happen. I've only seen one case of a power supply being broken as such it wouldn't turn on the fans even. You can have a supply that supplies voltage but not in a very stable fashion. Thereby causing it to work normally only sometimes or for a very short period of times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts