Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One week ago I was at my computer and I was going to log in...(I have dial up) so I clicked the icon...it didn't respond. Nothing else seemed messed up. I went in to connections and tried again...and nada. So I rebooted.

When my computer rebooted I had an all black screen with a blue retangle that read "H.V. Frequency over range".. So I was like.. Wtf is that. o_O I switched to an old monitor (since I didn't know anything else) and it actually worked... I called my classmate to look something up.. He had me going in to change the res.. so I did (still using the old monitor, btw) and everything turned BLACK. I could see icons here and there everything else was BLACK ewven the text!--so I couldn't see how to navigate.. I shut 'er down and tried again and it wouldn't even turn on. . .

I pushed the machine to the side...until last night and tried again. I got the "over range" deal again on the newer monitor...

Both of the monitors work fine with my older unit.

And.. I went to turn it off and it locked up...had to take the main power coming in from the back--Pwr button onfront wouldn't work.

Any suggestions and/or help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Your monitor cannot display the videocard's refresh rate. The standard frequency rate is 100 Hz, and all monitors should handle that, anything lower than 80 Hz would hurt your eyes. Try lowering that value. Right-click on desktop, select Properties, Settings --> Advanced --> Monitor --> Refresh Rate.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Most LCDs are limited to 60Hz. They work differently than the big CRT monitors and really don't have any adverse affects for non-gamers if you use a low refresh rate with them.

-Ryan

·
Registered
435 Posts
if you need to make changes while using the monitor, boot up in safe mode. safe mode will give you a very low resolution and low refresh rate that should be supported by even very old monitors. i'm pretty sure the changes you make to it while in safe mode will carry over once you reboot, because i used to have to do this with NT machines when i was a support guy.

as for your other problems... lockups and such... i dunno :\ make sure you have the latest video drivers and windows updates...

when was the last time you cleared off and re-installed your computer?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts