Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

When did you buy a new monitor?

• When the old one died.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • To upgrade, even though the old one still worked.

Votes: 31 54.4%
  • When I wanted to add a second monitor so I could have two.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Never bought a new one -- this is my first.

Votes: 9 15.8%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When did you purchase a new monitor? Are you like me, buying one only because the prior one has died?

Or do you buy a new one just to upgrade?

·
giggling ******
11,070 Posts
It was a gift from mommy and daddy.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I only get a new monitor when I get a new computer. This one I have now is great. About 22 inches wide screen and it tilts and turns(Sometimes I stand at the computer. I'm weird). It's better than my tv. I just wish these flat monitors didn't get brighter and darker depending on the angle you look from.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
I began doing a lot of 3d modeling and technical drawing work so I wanted double monitors. Really handy.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I got a new one because my aunt and uncle (who works with computers) thought my old one was old, so they bought me a new flat screen monitor... along with a computer.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
To upgrade. My huge CRT had to go. It was just a huge waste of space. Replaced it with a comparable LCD.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Normally, my answer would be 'when the last one died', but my parents got me a lcd for xmas time. It's so great, and I didn't have to kill myself lifting it up like the old clunky one.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just wish these flat monitors didn't get brighter and darker depending on the angle you look from.
That's one reason I liked my old 21" CRT. Damn fine monitor till it died. In terms of picture quality it simply doesn't get any better than a CRT, though they are exceptionally heavy.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
the old one was dying but not dead yet. Video was getting fuzzy and turning green.

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
I replaced my fairly decent CRT (some old 19" Diamondtron) with the best CRT ever (Sony GDM-FW900, aka 24" widescreen Trinitron). No tacky LCDs for me, thanks. With LCDs you can either choose lousy picture quality but acceptable gaming performance, amazing picture quality and unacceptable gaming performance or a mediocre mix between the two. Staring at a CRT, contrary to popular belief, isn't that hard on your eyes at all unless your refresh rate is too low, you've got the contrast and brightness RIGHT UP and no ambient lighting in your room, or it's one of those ancient 50s TVs that leaks radiation and explodes if you so much as tap on the tube.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
I have two computers and previously had a pair of 17" CRTs to go along with them. It was probably some time in 2005 (?) that I upgraded them both to 19" LCD (did them both on the same day, same make). I couldn't take those monstrosity CRTs any longer.

I'll probably keep these LCD monitors until they die.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I still have the same 15" flat screen that came with my desktop computer. It'd be nice to have one of those huge 20+ inch monitors but I can't justify buying one while this one is still working.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
I haven't ever brought a new moniter- just a new computer.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
I replaced a cheap kds 15 inch walmart lcd when i built a new computer. My logic was why spend 1000$ building a core2quad computer with a high end graphics card only to use a small 15 inch monitor with a 1024x768 resolution. I upgraded to a 21.6" samsung widescreen

1 - 20 of 26 Posts