Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you have become addicted to your computers because of SA?

I am addicted and I don't think I will ever change my habits. The internet provides me with everything I seem to want. I can play games online with people and chat with them and in some cases build relationships with these people (E-friends makes me laugh inside a little). I really enjoy the ability to talk to someone and not worry about all the things I usually do like my appearance, their facial expressions. Mostly I don't feel as though I'm being judged and ultimately it helps me feel like a normal person which is a great feeling.

Can anyone else relate?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah, I'd say I'm pretty addicted. I've spent the past two hours or so posting on here. Haha. I find a lot of fulfillment out of it because I can say way more on here than I ever could to anyone in my life. Although, I'd someday like to find at least one person I could feel just as comfortable or more around. Would be nice.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just wondering if any of you have become addicted to your computers because of SA?

I am addicted and I don't think I will ever change my habits. The internet provides me with everything I seem to want. I can play games online with people and chat with them and in some cases build relationships with these people (E-friends makes me laugh inside a little). I really enjoy the ability to talk to someone and not worry about all the things I usually do like my appearance, their facial expressions. Mostly I don't feel as though I'm being judged and ultimately it helps me feel like a normal person which is a great feeling.

Can anyone else relate?
I can totally relate. It's so much easier for me to be myself when I'm not face to face with someone. I was addicted to an online video game for a while and the best friend I have is from it. I'm still good friends with this person but I'm not addicted to the game like I was.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
I'm addicted,but I find myself feeling frustrated a lot.- It is such a poor substitute for the life/relationships I'd like to have in real life. Sometimes it feel like everyone is inside the restaurant enjoying themselves-and I'm outside digging thru the dumpster hopping to find a few scraps.(No offense intended). Still I appreciate this site-for a long time I didn't even have the scraps!

·
Registered
760 Posts
I spend alot of time on the net, it's not healthy that's for sure. It helps but should really be in moderation. In the last year or 2 I've been a net person for many hours in a day. I feel I can express myself well in written format so forums such as these help.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yup, im addicted. In a way, i really don't wanna be on it, i'd rather be out with some friends, or out working making $. Since i dont have a social life, or a job, or in school, i find myself on here, either playing games online, or talking in the forums or job hunting. Like i said, i don't wanna be on here, but theres nothing else to do in my misreable life.

·
stillborn
1,764 Posts
Yes I think I am addicted to the internet because of SA. I purchased expensive internet bundles from the hotel I'm staying at because I needed the computer. Even though we're going to be out and about for the majority of the time. I just can't live without it.

I don't go on that many sites anyways, only really e-mail the same three people. So it's not like I have a sprawling social life when I get on the computer. I just like the internet is all, it makes me feel connected.

·
Hiding behind the sofa
255 Posts
I'm addicted, one of the first things I do in the morning is check out news sites (well, Science Fiction News sites, such as 'io9'), forums, torrent sites and twitter. I cannot comprehend how people can not use the internet on an excessive level, what else is there?

·
Banned
133 Posts
I am not addicted, but I have been in the past, and it tended to be at times where I had few real life friends. I have found that, for me, it is best to use the net in moderation. For example, I use it as a crutch when social opportunities in real life are limited, but my goal is to always do more in real life and use the net only when things get hard.

The other thing that I remind myself of is that the net can be a great starting place for real life relationships. I found my fiance on the net, for example, because I was not satisfied with the same old dating opportunities in real life. I have a couple other friends I have met on the net over the years, and these relationships have been just as wonderful as any other, but they did get their starting point on the net. It can be a great place if used appropriately and in moderation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes I'm bad and prolly spend around 5 hours a day or so on the internet and it is so much easier for me to communicate on the computer, because I have time to think about all my responses...instead of face to face or on the phone...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, I feel like I am addicted to the internet too, I am signed up to many many forums and have quite a few posts on them all. From the point I get in from work until I go to bed I probably spend about 5 hours using my laptop. I use a computer at work too. It cant possibly be good for me but then I have nothing else to do - except at the weekends - when I go out driking to excess.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yep, especially since I have no real friends. I'm also kind of addicted to this forum because I can vent and post stuff and actually get some replies. A lot of the other forums I've been on are aggravating because it's like you can see that 30 people have viewed your post, but none have responding. It's bad enough being ignored in real life but it really sucks when you even get ignored in cyberspace:um

·
Half way there
428 Posts
I think I spend around 8 hours a day on my computer. Is that too much?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I guess I just have a short attention span and can't do one thing for very long. I wouldn't say I spent that much time on the internet, but I have lots of things I waste my days with. It seems like it's only helped my social life over the years, so I can't really complain that much.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I spend way too much time on my pc, If I had someone to go do something with I'd spend much less time on here.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts