Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i think i have "computer game addiction" and thinking about buying another expensive graphics card after selling my last one because couldnt stop playing but not sure if i should. I just want to know is it better to stay away completly from games or try to learn to control it?Is anyone else addicted?

:thanks

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I know how you feel... as a single roommateless apartment-dweller with minimal social life, the threat of addiction is omnipresent.

What works for me is to make a schedule and have a clock nearby. Set time frames for games, and set time frames for other things. This is kinda hard for MMORPGs since you can get locked in if you get into a group, so I suggest avoiding that genre entirely.

My current schedule is more or less this:
4am - wake up
4:15 - work out for an hour or so
5:30 take a shower, get ready for work
6:30-7am arrive at work
2:30-3pm leave work, this is "do anything time", which could be shopping, eating out, gaming, etc.
6pm to 9:30pm No full screen games or MMORPGs for the rest of the day. Windowed stuff only. If I'm not on the computer at all, that's even better :)
9:30 Wrap up any IM chats, and go to bed.

-Ryan

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, the way I see it, if your addiction doesn't negatively affect the rest of your life, then don't deprive yourself of something you enjoy. Now, if you're not eating, bathing, ignoring responsibilities, not going to work, etc... then yeah, you really should cut back.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
This probably won't help your addiction, but how about trying to play abandonware games if you like old games. There's also freeware too. Both don't cost any money.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Controlling for me was really super hard. If I played at all, I would always be thinking what I could do to improve my char, what gear I'd get, etc etc etc... and be so nervous if anyone else (MMORPG) would out level me.

I had to stop cold turkey. I was neglecting my house and my dogs. And I couldn't afford that, since they are real and physical, and the dogs have needs.

My husband continues to live in his addiction, though he does, now, realize that he must live in the present somewhat to stay married.

It's up to you, see what you can do. Computer games can be very fullfilling and feel just wonderful. Especially for us with SA. Just be careful. It's like any other drug, if you take too much, don't eat, and your house is falling apart, you prob should stop completely. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad u mentioned your dogs cause i have a dog now and i dont want to neglect him. After spending countless hours playing far cry and finishing it in a rediculously short time, i come away from the computer feeling really empty inside.

I thinkwhat the hell am i puttiing so much time into a game for and the only way i can cure or escape this empty feeling is to get another game. So thankyou for the advice i think i will stay cold turkey.

·
Registered
854 Posts
ghostgurl said:
This probably won't help your addiction, but how about trying to play abandonware games if you like old games. There's also freeware too. Both don't cost any money.
wow I didn't know this genre existed. Thanks :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not all of them. Some old games are declared free by the company that made them. Often, it's to promote the release of its sequel. Sometimes it's released for free because it's literally selling no (or very, very few) copies, and the company wants to improve their PR.

Betrayal at Krondor and Beneath a Steel Sky come to mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts