Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would computer forensics be a good career option?

I became interested in it from TV shows like Cold Case Files, etc. And the community college near me has a certificate program that would take me 2 semesters to complete it looks like.

I'm curious about the demand though. The last thing I want to do is go back to school for X amount of time and then graduate and be right back at square one with nobody wanting to touch me with a 10 foot pole. Because that's how it feels with my Bachelors degree in communications. Nobody really seems to care about it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm a computer science grad and I've never heard of a computer forensics program. Sounds like it would be in the scope of a community college, though. I guess it depends on your interest, if it's two semesters, you can be done with it in a year. IMO, the whole technology industry in general is not fun to break into.

I'm not sure about employment. I think it would be far fetched to get into law enforcement, but it might be good for odd jobs at computer repair shops and that kind of thing (recovering lost data). Maybe you could get into IT at a larger corporation, but you would almost certainly be forced into the same path as any other entry level person, i.e. either help desk or network support.

Just my honest opinions.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I took a bach/masters Comp Forensics class last year. My professor brought in a clip from CSI or CCFiles making fun of the way it was portrayed. Its far from what you see on tv. Most jobs in that field go to SBI/FBI and I doubt a person holding a certificate in CF would be first in line for the positions.

BTW it required a computer science degree.

Here is some info from my college.

The identification, extraction, documentation, interpretation, and preservation of computer media for evidentiary purposes and/or root cause analysis. Topics include techniques for discovering digital evidence; responding to electronic incidents; tracking communications through networks; understanding electronic media, crypto-literacy, data hiding, hostile code, and Windows™ and UNIX™ system forensics; and the role of forensics in the digital environment.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts

I became interested in it from TV shows like Cold Case Files, etc. And the community college near me has a certificate program that would take me 2 semesters to complete it looks like.

I'm curious about the demand though. The last thing I want to do is go back to school for X amount of time and then graduate and be right back at square one with nobody wanting to touch me with a 10 foot pole. Because that's how it feels with my Bachelors degree in communications. Nobody really seems to care about it.
If you don't have a problem working for the government, you'll always have a job.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts

I would imagine demand for something like that would be in very populated areas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts