Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've had this much before SA, but it's got a lot worse since then. It's the only thing that gives me joy, but also the reason I'm extremely tired all the time and can't follow SA therapy. I use the computer 10+ hours almost daily now, usually watching youtube and playing games.(I hate online games but I don't think that makes any difference)

It messed up my sleep cycle completely. It changes often but now I sleep around 10a.m. and wake up at 7p.m. Sometimes I'm so sleepy I go back to bed right after a meal. I've tried to get it right a few times by not sleeping until early night, knowing it would only worsen things.

Thanks to SA+this, I withdrew from school twice. I'm transferring to ****** college next semester, completely unsure if I'll be able to survive one semester even there.

Before college my dad prevented me from using the computer more than a few hours but now there's nothing that can help me control it. I don't have the willpower to stay away from the computer, and I find all the other activities extremely boring/frustrating. Ironically the only exercise I do is DDR, which I have to turn on the computer to play.

I wish for but don't expect an advice that could help me..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry if you have probably tried this.

But have you slowly tried making it harder to get onto the computer? Stick it in an uncomfortable place, block one site you visit regularly then add some more on later...

A girlfriend or just a good friend can usually help you out of trouble, can be hard to come by but not nearly as hard as it is made out to be. Whatever you do, don't touch a game such as "world of warcraft" tbh you will bore yourself out of gaming without those games in a few years but that was just me :).

Other things to do is a big one, Hook your computer upto a tv and sit on the couch... and watch a show or something which you can download of the net. Pretty much just distancing yourself in ways it barely effects you and soon you will be back to normal. (This is the age of technology most people are addicted to myspace or something..)

You could watch sport on the internet through the TV, there you go theres something to do which isn't sitting at the PC.. 1 by 1 until your satisfied you can slowly just not feel the need anymore.

·
Registered
867 Posts
i had this problem before and have only been able to drop my internet time down to manageble levels 2hours a day(also im unemployed) or so in last few weeks thats because i lost interest in a game (various reasons) i use to play 4-10 hours a day on. i have played this computer game for like 2-3 years and how i feel afterward is that i wasted alot of time. iTs worthless.

i was your age when i started the bad habit of internet/game addiction and just want to say dont waste your life on it. complete waste of life. it takes your mind off your problems for a little while but afterward you are worse off. cant get that time back i could of did things to improve my social life instead. dont be like me.

·
Liddle Wun
30 Posts
I can understand the messed up sleep cycle thing.. I sleep after 5am and wake up around 4pm to eat 'breakfast'.. occasionally I break the cycle but it'll only last for a day or two and then I'll go back to my weird sleeping habits >.<

I guess I just love the quiet of the night.. and in a sense my computer makes me feel connected to a world which I would otherwise be disconnected from - if it weren't for the internet. Seeing as I don't get out much.

Sorry I don't really have any advice for you.. but I suspect a lot of people with SA probably have the same problem so you're not alone..

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i'm addicted to this evil machine as well
but this addiction helped me to acquire pc building skills
i'm hoping to get a job with these skills someday

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
I'm in the same boat.

I feel, however, that "computer addiction" is not the problem... it's that the rest of my life sucks and I have ADHD. If I wasn't screwing around on the computer, I'd be watching TV or listening to music or doing art or SOMETHING other than boring school/work stuff.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
First of all, know that Social Anxiety and Depression are both connected with lack of motivation (if you can't go out and enjoy life, why go out at all?). I play world of warcraft. Too much. way too much. I know this may seem like denial, but im not addicted. A month ago i successfully stopped playing for two weeks. I didnt have a reason to stop playing at all. One day i just wanted to see if i could do it, and I just stopped. that was it. Whenever i started to think about it, i would immediately think of something else. Dont try to stop in the middle of playing. do it when you wake up. try to get back on a normal sleeping pattern. and just dont touch your computer. the moment you think about ANYTHING to do with the computer, divert your attention.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts