Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When faced with competition does anyone else feel like they've just been "stabbed"?

I get really down if someone shows off and brags about what they have achieved. And if i have to prove myself at anything, i get depressed and cannot do things i am capable of.

Its basically having low morale. Especially around "superior" people.

And sometimes, when if i have the chance to "shine" (show what i'm capable of) i dont do it because i dont like the attention.

Anyone else experienced similar feelings/problems?

·
Vann of the Dawn
81 Posts
I do, and it is very often. I have a brother that just "gets it." He can play a video game (or anything else like football, ping pong, pool) for just couple of nights and he suddenly just gets it. He understands instantly the mechanics of the game and can play it very well. This made me feel like I had to try and match him so I could be an equal with him. This would make me nervous and I would normally fail. This made me eventually decide to stop trying and just not do those things in front of others.

·
Registered
75 Posts
When faced with competition does anyone else feel like they've just been "stabbed"?

I get really down if someone shows off and brags about what they have achieved. And if i have to prove myself at anything, i get depressed and cannot do things i am capable of.

Its basically having low morale. Especially around "superior" people.

And sometimes, when if i have the chance to "shine" (show what i'm capable of) i dont do it because i dont like the attention.

Anyone else experienced similar feelings/problems?
Yeah, I can't stand it when people brag about things, especially those that are naturally good at a lot of things. I try not to feel jealous of people who "get it" (like Nights said), but it becomes impossible if they show off and then expect me to say, "Oh, well I can do THIS, so there." No. I don't play that game. It's a huge pet peeve of mine. I'm not competitive at all, so it bugs me when things are turned into a competition that don't need to be.

I usually just stay quiet, zone out, and let them brag. I have some small comfort in the fact that they usually look silly talking about themselves so much. :b

Though, I do wish I wasn't afraid of attention. I also hold back with the talents I know I have because I either feel I can't do them well enough, or I'm afraid of negative responses, like people will think I'm self-centered or something.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The worst thing is when i know (and have proved i can do something) but someone that is worse than me says that they are "better than me". Thats also disrespectful.

I always work hard to prove myself, but it all falls apart when i have to prove myself over and over again to different people.

When it comes to competition i fail big time because i cant keep up mentally.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I can totally relate to this. As much as I love my younger brother he does make me feel a bit crap about myself when he comes to visit with his new car, smart clothes and exciting life. I fee like such a ****tard.

·
Vann of the Dawn
81 Posts
I suppose I should mention that my brother never bragged about anything, these situations often just came up because we lived together for about 17 years. I think he knew it frustrated me a lot, so we never really went up against each other. We mainly would co-op together in video games (and I would ignore him getting more medals and achievements at the end) and we would play other games as a family. I'm just posting this to make sure there's no thoughts of my brother trying to brag or anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.