Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People on this forum naturally bring up the concept of comfort zone and the idea of "leaving/staying in own comfort zone". This would mean that the area outside the comfort zone has to be uncomfortable. I do not agree with that. I have come to understand that there are two comfort zones; one inner and one outer and that there is no need to leave the inner comfort zone at any point in life, I'd say that most people in comparison to us don't leave their inner comfort zone very often. It's the ability to be yourself and adjust to a new environment so that it feels like home.

We've got to use this inner comfort zone to our best advantage or else others will take advantage of it instead. In other words, We could well enough make others adapt to us a little more and let ourselves adapt to them a little less. It's my belief we have the birth right to feel at home in this world, in any given place at any given time.

A random thought.

·
Banned
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what's your definition of outer comfort zone?
  • Outer Comfort Zone; a zone where we feel comfortable naturally.
  • Leaving Outer Comfort Zone; entering situations that automatically cause distress in us.
  • Inner Comfort Zone; making ourselves feel comfortable, no matter the place/situation.
  • Leaving Inner Comfort Zone; letting ourselves feel tense and uneasy, not taking any steps towards giving oneself relief.

What I'm talking about is; not letting new and/or uncomfortable experiences, people, situations, locations lead you into a place of discomfort.

Example:
Setting: New group work assignment (outside comfort zone --> immediate reaction is anxiety). Now, we could think of ourselves as not having good enough ideas worth proposing or we perceive that we're not all that skillful in structuring who does what. Perhaps there is a lazy and very social person in the group who we think will quickly propose who does what so that others get to do harder tasks than he.

Now, we could either sit there quietly and tensely ending up getting more work to do, or we could at least give it a shot and voice our suggestion so that things get done according to how we feel is best for us (and fair to everyone else, hopefully). The latter would be taking use of one's inner comfort zone.

·
Banned
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I posted previously was just an example. If one feels very anxious to be able to say much in that group, then feeling even worse because of that is violating inner comfort zone. It's so individual what makes one feel better and what does not. And being sensitive to that, choosing the better-feeling behavior is ultimately the time when one's true personality starts to come through, I believe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts